CALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Luis Obispo
Hi all,
My name is Ariel. I'm 37, male from California. My mother was DX with ALS at 50 (10 years ago). She's still alive but locked in and on a vent. Shortly after her DX I started experiencing whole body fasciculations. I told my Dr about it and my mom's DX. He did a simple reflex and strength exam in his office which came out normal. He said not to worry that it was probably due to stress or caffeine. Flash forward 9 years. The fasciculations never went away and in the last 6 months have intensified such that both my lower calf muscles are almost always twitching. It got scarier a few months ago when I started experiencing bad calf cramps during running. I've been a life long runner so this was definitely a change. I went back to my Dr and explained. He referred me to a neurologist to do a Nerve Conduction Study and EMG. I just had these tests done Tuesday. A technician did the NCV test. She tested both arms and one leg. The neurologist did the EMG. She only did one leg. My question is whether this is a complete test. I really don't have one limb that's any worse than the others so I guess you can make conclusions based on one limb, however I would assume you'd want to collect as much info as possible. I don't have weakness or wasting at this point but the twitching and cramping does scare me especially given my family history. Any help is appreciated.

Testing one affected area is perfectly appropriate and standard practice if that area is normal. If she found something she would have continued to define the involved areas. It was not necessary in your case.

You have no weakness and no atrophy. Apparently your doctor found nothing concerning on exam, you had a normal emg.

One relative does not make you FALS. I am sorry about your mom but one relative does not significantly increase your risk of ALS

You have many reasons this is not ALS. Cramps and twitching are common and non specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back