Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry but i'm still not excited............seems obvious to me that channel one does not really care,this so called apology is just an inconveniance and is not truley mean't.
i feel deflated that the als community did not kick up more of a storm by going to the media or goverment officials.
these two sorry exscuse for human beings have gotton away with it and will think they can do it again..........they have won.
i will try emailing papers again.

I sent a letter to our local newspaper. I didn't hear anything back. I still think everyone should Tweet it.

I've been tweeting it every time I get online, and put it on my author blog, too.

Olly--perhaps the ALSA is trying to 'take the high road', but I tend to agree. Their apology isn't worth the paper or air time it'll be given. Still, it might help with awareness. Just by letting people know what ALS even IS.

I did an informal poll on my tweet thing. I got a lot of "What is ALS" back. Awareness is sadly lacking :(

As to their being Christian. I've found that some of the most un-Christian behavior comes from some of those that spout it the most. Which is sad.

Even their "hope he dies' about the guy that stole the money bottle, again, the guy should have been arrested for theft. But these radio frawds don't have a Christian bone in their bodies. At least not the spirit of the belief IMHO.

I don't agree with what Hawking said, either, and wouldn't have had a problem if they'd bashed the "talk" he gave, rather than the man himself and his disability.

Honestly, it's not a Christian issue even it's just knowing right from wrong! Do Unto Others...

One of my favorite saying is "There but by the grace of God go" I saw it a LOT. I think it even more often.

Their broadcast that day got 1 of 5 starts. So, apparently a LOT of people didn't like it anymore than we did.

Why won't it allow my makingfunofals shortcut work? It's just a shortened thing to that particular portion of the broadcast

If you'll send me a PM with the URL to your link in it, notme, I'll see if I can get it posted here.

Bribery might work.

Now I'm offering a free copy of any of my books to anyone that retweets the darn idiot comments

(hey, stop laughing! SOME people like my writing, LOL)

Correction this should read- *'every brain cell....'

Re: Walton and Johnson hateful remarks about Stephen Hawking
Totally offensive, but hey-
every *brown cell that they have between them cannot compare to the intellect of Stephen Hawking- he is a scientific legend who will go down in history forever for his genius. They won't even be remembered as the oppressive dick heads that they are.

DeeMichelle, I liked your original statement better. It described what their heads are full of since their heads are firmly lodged in one of their output ports.

The latest update from the Boycott Walton and Johnson F a c e b o o k group page is a draft of a statement scheduled to be released tomorrow, so the Boycott administrators have asked that the text not be reproduced on other websites until the actual statement is released tomorrow.

More when I have it (and permission to release it).

A new statement from ALS TDI:

--------------------

Positive Outcomes from Grassroots #ALS Advocacy Efforts Re: Walton & Johnson Radio Show

In support of the ALS community's grassroots effort in response to comments made recently on the Walton & Johnson radio show, ALS TDI has been in communication and directly coordinating with the management of KKRW, a Houston Clear Channel affiliate for the last two weeks. The ALS community's advocacy efforts utilized social media to rally the grassroots effort for an on-air apology targeting KKRW, Clear Channel corporate and affiliates stations, as well as sponsors of the syndicated radio program. On 5/24/2011, the station’s management and the show’s hosts and producer drafted and read a public apology on the air just before 10:00AM. The text of that apology is as follows:

“KKRW and Walton & Johnson would like to apologize for insensitive remarks about Stephen Hawking’s physical condition that have caused distress to people with disabilities, including those with ALS – which Professor Hawking suffers from – and their families. We recognize that there are many people in Houston who suffer from serious, debilitating illnesses and no offense to them was intended.”

In support of the ALS community's grassroots effort in response to comments made recently on the Walton & Johnson radio show, ALS TDI has been in communication and directly coordinating with the management of KKRW, a Houston Clear Channel affiliate for the last two weeks. The ALS community's advocacy efforts utilized social media to rally the grassroots effort for an on-air apology targeting KKRW, Clear Channel corporate and affiliates stations, as well as sponsors of the syndicated radio program. On 5/24/2011, the station’s management and the show’s hosts and producer drafted and read a public apology on the air just before 10:00AM. The text of that apology is as follows:

“KKRW and Walton & Johnson would like to apologize for insensitive remarks about Stephen Hawking’s physical condition that have caused distress to people with disabilities, including those with ALS – which Professor Hawking suffers from – and their families. We recognize that there are many people in Houston who suffer from serious, debilitating illnesses and no offense to them was intended.”

In addition, a 30 minute public affairs program produced by the station will air on June 5th, 2011 and feature Dr. Steven Perrin, CEO of ALS TDI. The show will discuss ALS, how it can affect people of all ages and what the current state of research is. Steve will also speak to his knowledge on the current clinical opportunities and situation “on the ground” in this war. He will also be asked directly about the community and its advocacy efforts being so grassroots. This show will be recorded and available via podcast on iTunes. However, it can be heard live on Sunday at the following times and stations in Houston: 6:30 AM on The 9-5-0 AM, Radio Mojo, 7:00 AM on 94.5 FM, The Buzz, 7:25 AM on 93.7 FM, The Arrow 7:30 AM on Sunny 99.1 FM, and 11:30 PM on SportsTalk 790 AM.

Further, KKRW management is coordinating with ALS TDI to develop a public service announcement about ALS. That PSA will then be played/launched throughout a cluster of stations in Houston. ALS TDI will then make the PSA available to other markets as well in hopes of creating a national awareness campaign.

ALS TDI would like to recognize the ALS Community for its leadership. Specifically, ALS TDI would like to recognize the F a c e b o o k and Twitter communities which include an international group of ALS advocates and others willing to defend and demand respect for those with disabilities such as ALS. The public apology, dedicated programming, and national PSA campaign is the result of these advocates, and the willingness of KKRW to work with us to turn this into a positive by undertaking a desperately needed ALS educational campaign.

ALS TDI is proud to work, on behalf of the ALS community, with KKRW, and Clear Channel toward a result which sheds desperately needed light on a disease that effects the lives of hundreds of thousands of families worldwide.

Questions/Comments are encouraged here on F a c e b o o k or can emailed to ALS TDI at info -at- als -dot- net or via phone at 617-441-7200.

In addition, a 30 minute public affairs program produced by the station will air on June 5th, 2011 and feature Dr. Steven Perrin, CEO of ALS TDI. The show will discuss ALS, how it can affect people of all ages and what the current state of research is. Steve will also speak to his knowledge on the current clinical opportunities and situation “on the ground” in this war. He will also be asked directly about the community and its advocacy efforts being so grassroots. This show will be recorded and available via podcast on iTunes. However, it can be heard live on Sunday at the following times and stations in Houston: 6:30 AM on The 9-5-0 AM, Radio Mojo, 7:00 AM on 94.5 FM, The Buzz, 7:25 AM on 93.7 FM, The Arrow 7:30 AM on Sunny 99.1 FM, and 11:30 PM on SportsTalk 790 AM.

Further, KKRW management is coordinating with ALS TDI to develop a public service announcement about ALS. That PSA will then be played/launched throughout a cluster of stations in Houston. ALS TDI will then make the PSA available to other markets as well in hopes of creating a national awareness campaign.

ALS TDI would like to recognize the ALS Community for its leadership. Specifically, ALS TDI would like to recognize the F a c e b o o k and Twitter communities which include an international group of ALS advocates and others willing to defend and demand respect for those with disabilities such as ALS. The public apology, dedicated programming, and national PSA campaign is the result of these advocates, and the willingness of KKRW to work with us to turn this into a positive by undertaking a desperately needed ALS educational campaign.

ALS TDI is proud to work, on behalf of the ALS community, with KKRW, and Clear Channel toward a result which sheds desperately needed light on a disease that effects the lives of hundreds of thousands of families worldwide.

Questions/Comments are encouraged here on F a c e b o o k or can emailed to ALS TDI at info -at- als -dot- net or via phone at 617-441-7200.

--------------------

Edited by me to change all the known m o d e r a t i o n snares.

More later, when the Walton and Johnson boycott group updates their page.

Posted a new update, but it's been snagged by the moderation goblins. More later when the Boycott group updates their page.

Im from katy tx. and they re the morning jocks from houstom 93.7 classic.You ask me they talk too much and dont play enough rock n roll.I dont hear em much these days as i ride my motorcycle to work most days.But after hearing their insults, i think i ll be listening even less to them.Maybe ill put my boot up their a.They were putting him down because of his comments on God and religion.Still no excuse for that kind of insensitive behavior.

The 6/1/2011 update from the Boycott Walton and Johnson F a c e b o o k group:

--------------------
6/1/2011 Boycott Update (Next update will be Tuesday 6/7/2011)

The Boycott Walton & Johnson effort commenced 5/16/2011 with 2 specific goals:

* On-air apology
* $10K in cash

One person heard the disparaging remarks, Another person chose to start a Boycott. 100s joined in support of the stated Boycott goals. The majority of boycott supporters... clearly understood the focus, often commenting and demanding the on-air apology.

A smaller percentage of boycott supporters voiced a desire to have Walton & Johnson fired. This was not part of nor is part of the Boycott initiative.

For Boycott purpose please review the Boycott Group Page description.

The on-air apology has been accomplished thanks to dedicated efforts of all persons reaching out via social media, emailing, telephone calls, et al.

The $10K in cash was a personal offer from one of the partners of Walton & Johnson. This is being handled in private due to being a 'personal offer'.

The aforementioned represents the initial Boycott initiative that all persons passionately & tirelessly dedicated hours & days of efforts for - have been achieved.

ALS Awareness via PSAs has been a consistent and constant disappointment voiced publicly throughout the ALS community for at least the past several years. Often the disappointment dialog surfaces around the timing of the annual ALS Advocacy day, but can often be found in many on-line discussions, forums, etc. that occur throughout the year.

On 5/20/2011 contact was made with Clear Channel to discuss the Boycott goal for on-air apology. in addition to the on-air apology, suggested resolutions to represent good faith were proposed to Clear Channel management. Of the suggested resolutions Clear Channel accepted doing PSAs (multiple) and proposed to expand the ALS Awareness scope from PSAs to include 30 mins on a Public Affairs Program to broaden ALS Awareness.

We will be obtaining statistical data to reflect the potential of the listening market for the PSAs and the Public Affairs Program (30 min show). The Houston, TX area in itself has a population in excess of 6 million persons. When the statistical data is available it will be provided in a future Boycott update.

ALS-TDI has posted their formal release of status on the 30 minute Public Affairs Program that will air on Sunday, 6/5/2011.

The program will be aired on various stations (previously communicated) & available via free podcast download on iTunes.

ALS-TDI has also posted information addressing a PSA that will be aired at future date(s) (Dates TBD).

Clear Channel is working with ALSA for an ALSA coordinated PSA. Details as to timing, content, et al will need to be shared by ALSA.

Clear Channel will also be working with the Boycott Leadership on additional PSAs. We have previously been working with a few PALS for their input to contribute to same. As these PSAs are worked out - additional information will be shared.

There has been speculation & rumors of a 3rd party involved in negotiations with the Boycott Leadership & Clear Channel. This is not factual information.

ALS TDI was brought in as subject matter experts to assist in already agreed solutions (ie PSAs & 30 min Public Affairs Program). They responded quickly and with dedicated commitment on behalf of the ALS community.

ALSA reached out to Clear Channel as a result of the Boycott & the hard work of the Boycott supporters reaching out to ALSA for support. Together, Clear Channel & ALSA are working on a PSA.

While there is churning & discontent being echoed by some, the Boycott Leadership has worked for the greater whole of the ALS community. An on-air apology is a one quick flash moment in time. A request or demand for Walton & Johnson to be fired has been done successfully on more than one occasion by other causes/interested groups. Walton & Johnson keep surfacing & continue their style of radio show. The probability that Walton & Johnson's listening audience would have compassion and understand the plight of the ALS community is quite low. The PSAs and the 30 minute Public Affairs Program will be aired to a broader and hopefully more compassionate listening audience. ALS TDI will be able to use the PSA being created under their guidance for a longer term and far more reaching audience.

Working with Clear Channel has been very positive. The daily conversations highlight the education & awareness that Clear Channel is receiving through this process & their own research and our discussions.

The Boycott Leadership has been working on behalf of the ALS community as a whole with an abundance mentality paradigm - "There's enough in it for everyone". It's our hope that each person in the ALS community will find some element of what has been achieved to identify with and realize "that's more than we started out asking for".
--------------------

That's all for now. If anything new comes up, I'll put it up here when I get it.

The following statement was released by the US national office of the ALS Association this morning.

------------------

Once again the power of positive energy has paid off!

As a result of the efforts by the ALS community in response to the comments made on the Walton and Johnson show last month, the management of Clear Channel Communication has produced public services announcements (PSAs) for both The ALS Association and ALS TDI! These PSAs will run 6 times per day on each of the 6 different Clear Channel stations in the Houston area through mid-June. A huge thank you to everyone who helped make this possible, and congratulations to the Clear Channel for recognizing the devastation caused by this disease and helping us spread awareness!

--------------------

More updates when I get them.....

Being a BOOKKEEPER, I think it is always effective to hit the enemy where the money starts. Radio and radio shows need advertisers. Advertisers need to know that their ads will sell their product or else they pull the ad. Simple. Call the advertisers -- specifically the ones for the idiot show and let them know just what they are supporting, and also that you have every intention to quit purchasing their product, that you have a BIG MOUTH and will start talking to all your friends and neighbours about their ads supporting such lame stupidity.
Bad press is never the advertiser's dream so they would most likely walk away from the problem. Radio gets less money, show starts looking ugly.....
you get the picture?
Power to the People!~

i totally agree with you toms support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back