Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
For some reason this week I feel like I'm walking with ankle weights on both legs. I was on vacation all last week and worked Tuesday through today this week. Last night I was in bed at 7:00 p.m. as my legs were dead tired. Have any of you had a sudden change like this? I'm on 30 mg. a day of Baclofen for spasticity and will be going in for my 3 month check up in about 3 weeks. I'm am worried about this.

LouLou

It can be worse if you overdo it. It seems to take longer to recover from a very busy day. rest up and see if things improve. I cant have very physical days everyday. I need a day of rest in between.

hi lou lou,what you describe is completely" normal"for us,its mostly due to fatigue and with rest it will get better.
i used to get this alot in the early years when i still tried to carry on daily life as normal.
my son used to physically lift one foot at a time on the stairs to get me up them because i could not lift them up.
it used to feel to me like i had tight bands around my ankles,this was during the years they
were checking on ms and this is a typical ms feeling.
dont worry,hopefully it will pass soon.

nice cupcakes aly.

Thank you Alyoop and Olly! I plan to go to my nephew's house for New Year's Eve this afternoon and sit in a cushy recliner while I'm there. I don't go back to work until Tuesday so will get some rest tomorrow and Monday too. It's just hard to accept at times that I can't do things at the pace I used to.

Happy New Year Friends! May 2012 bring you good health and much happiness.

LouLou

Hi Loulou so i am understanding you or diagnosed with pls an am wondering if i have pls ,it sounds like you can walk without any type of equipment i lost my ability to walk in last than two weeks back in Oct,2010 i started with havivg tingling in my left foot than in the leg went to see doc she sent me to neuro,neuro said transversmyelitis had treatment for that was able to walk a little he said that was all he can do , secound neuro said its pls and to comfrim it he sent me to Tx. i am not sure that its pls, i cant walk at all now have to use crutches.
Has any one with pls stop walking that soon?going to see new neuro on thursday.

This past Monday I fell again! I had just folded laundry and picked up a small load, stepped back from the couch and my legs got tangled up and down I went. It's like it happened in slow motion. I did not get hurt, but it scared me. I then emailed my nurse at the University and told her about falling three times in 5 weeks. I have an appointment in a few weeks with her. She wants me to have my gait/balance assessed with a physical therapist. She asked me to slow down my movements and try not to step backward. I will try, but it's hard to change movements that you have taking for granted all your life. I may have more balance/weakness issues from the baclofen, or from the spasticity. I'll know more after my appointment. I am also ordering a cane this weekend to see if this will help with the balance issues.

May blessings to all of you. Take good care...

LouLou

It might be time for you to get fitted with AFO's. It is not safe to always be falling. Good luck. I remember those early days with my husband when for no reason at all; down he would go.

Bless you, extra real good.

Hi All, I've been having same problem for last month myself and will be going to PT for balance. It's weird I can bend over and touch my toes or pick stuff up with no problem. But I've fallen backwards at least 6 times and it happens so quick I don't really know how it happens and I always land on my back. So far no real injuries but it is a scary thing considering I cannot get up on my own......What are AFO's?

My neuro discribed it as it feels like we are "walking in molasses" all day and just takes all our energy. In addition, I have the falling backwards problem in slow motion also. It always seems like my brain is saying "step or catch yourself", but the legs and feet don't seem to get that thought quick enough. :-o

AFO=Ankle/foot orthotic. Do a forum search for AFOs to read discussions from users. They'll make a world of difference and keep you on your feet more safely for longer. Ms Pie, BarryG and Rose even provided photos of theirs in some of the previous discussions. Your Doc will write a script for you to be fitted at a place that sells prosthetics. Medicare and other insurance will pay for them. I recently checked the price on an off the shelf carbon fiber AFO and it runs about $650.00. You can also g o o g le AFO to see what's out there. Do NOTwait to get these! If you have foot drop they will help ease the fatigue in your legs as you walk and they will help to prevent falling.

Thanks for your posts. I will for sure ask my nurse and PT about the AFOs. Sounds like these can really help with the issues I'm dealing with. Just reading and looking at the pictures, they don't look very comfortable at all. I'll see what the outcome is after my appointment soon.

LouLou

They may not look very comfortable, but much better than a cast or a concussion from falling badly. They can give you help in lots of ways.

Same thing happened to me Got up from my recliner grab my walker leaned over coffee table fell backwards hit my head on dining-room table .Ended up in ICU subdural hematoma. Bought a wheelchair never walked again .Too scared

so be careful

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back