Walking has been worse this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason this week I feel like I'm walking with ankle weights on both legs. I was on vacation all last week and worked Tuesday through today this week. Last night I was in bed at 7:00 p.m. as my legs were dead tired. Have any of you had a sudden change like this? I'm on 30 mg. a day of Baclofen for spasticity and will be going in for my 3 month check up in about 3 weeks. I'm am worried about this.

LouLou

Not unusual . The day l moved out of my house I couldn't go back upstairs too weak and stress out .Took weeks to feel stronger

Pat

This past Monday I fell again! I had just folded laundry and picked up a small load, stepped back from the couch and my legs got tangled up and down I went. It's like it happened in slow motion. I did not get hurt, but it scared me. I then emailed my nurse at the University and told her about falling three times in 5 weeks. I have an appointment in a few weeks with her. She wants me to have my gait/balance assessed with a physical therapist. She asked me to slow down my movements and try not to step backward. I will try, but it's hard to change movements that you have taking for granted all your life. I may have more balance/weakness issues from the baclofen, or from the spasticity. I'll know more after my appointment. I am also ordering a cane this weekend to see if this will help with the balance issues.

May blessings to all of you. Take good care...

LouLou

I have suffered for so many years now that I have come to grips with having to slow down my movements. I no longer try and keep up with others if I am walking in a group. For the most part, people see my stuggles and slow down for me.

I shuffle now when I do walk, even with AFO's on both feet. I am now using two forearm crutches when I am up and out of the house, unless I have my chair with me which is more often than not. In the house I just go really slow. My progression is that I am constantly aware now that I could go down at any time. If I am up too long on my legs then they will start to shake. That is when I start to use my chair. I am only good for about 10 minutes of standing at a time now.

Work as a photographer is also changing. I have to always have someone with me, either one of my sons or my husband. I do alot of shooting sitting down. Last night I had a shoot that required me to get on the floor. I got half way down and fell the rest of the way. No damage but a bruised ego and embarrassment as there were alot of people around. It took 3 men to lift me back up to my feet and then I almost fell over again.

All these things are changes I have no control over. I have learned that even though I can get frustrated and even angry at these changes, it does absolutely nothing to change it. So I am resigned to knowing that I will most likely continue to decline, but I will do it as gracefully and continue to do as much as I can as possible, till I can do it no more.

I tell you my story LouLou because I hope to encourage you to be creative with what you have and do as much as you can do. All the while, know your limitations, listen to your body's warning signals and be happy that you get to live another day to share this world with someone else!

Have a great day!

AKmom,

Thanks for the post. I totally agree that one must be thankful for what we have and what we can do. Even though my body is not able to move like it used to, I am blessed with my otherwise excellent health and for being the same person I have always been. Since this began, I've never felt embarrassed or odd and when people ask me what's happened, I tell them the story and everyone is so interested and compassionate. During the beginning of the holidays, I found I could not decorate the house like I have in the past, BUT I could still bake cookies and bread... so that's what I did... for 3 days! I had so much fun and people enjoyed the goodies. One day at a time...

LouLou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back