Diagnosis
10/2000
Country
CA
State
NL
City
Newfoundland
From today's Globe and Mail, it looks likes things are starting to move in Japan with automated walking assistance. Cyberdyne's HAL-5 looked promising a few years ago with their exoskelton but development slowed to a snail's pace when the inventor turned down external funding when the enterprise had reached a stage where a larger company was needed with research funds in hand. It is now producing suits but well behing schedule, only a few hundred a year, only in Japan and at a breathtaking lease price.

Honda has developed a simpler, although probably less useful, device for specialized labour situations and for the disabled. As well Toyota is working on something. With these two giants involved I suspect the next generation of PALS will have alternatives to scooters and wheelchairs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081107.whondagadget1107/BNStory/Technology/home

Thanks for sharing this news, John. Sounds promising.

Yeh thanks I saw these in the news in the UK too. Looks like you'd need to still have a lot of upper body strength, but encouraging.
Take Care
Donna

making progress

Sounds like they are making progress on this

Wonder if the ALS Society or ALSA/MDA will have them in the loan closet?

AL.

Wow John, that's very interesting, I think it will work for Pals who have difficulties walking.

Thanks Vickster. It looks like this technology is getting quite close to market. I can see the "stride management assist" prolonging walking for PALS for a year or two.

fabulous! then when the cure comes along, muscle strength will be better maintained which means less time in physio for PALS...

wishful thinking, perhaps, but there's always reason to hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back