Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeannie

Dear all,

On Monday morning I put my trainers on, whipped out my A-Z, and walked from King's College Hospital to 10 Downing St as a practice runthrough of our Walk to D'Feet MND. This will be taking place on Sunday June 19th from 12 noon, with an aim to arrive at Downing St before 2pm. There, a small number of us will go inside to deliver letters written by PALS, their families, and healthcare professionals addressed to the government.

The objectives are three-fold.

One, to bring government attention to the case of MND by highlighting issues on which the government's actions have been helpful (e.g. stem cells, the NSF for long-term conditions), and also those areas which still have room for improvement.

Two, to raise public awareness of MND by inviting members of the press along to interview PALS, their families, and healthcare professionals.

Three, to raise funds for the MNDA through workplace fundraising, corporate fund-matching, individual fundraising, and use of the fundraising website www.justgiving.com/kingsmndwalk

This last point is quite possibly one of the most crucial. Last year the MNDA raised nearly £100,000, beating their own target of £50,000. This year the bar has been raised to £100,000 and I think we can make a national total of £200,000!

Here's how you can get involved:

If you would like to join the London walk please contact [email protected] or 01604 611 833 with your details so she can send you a registration pack. There is a small registration fee to cover administrative costs; this enables all the money raised to be put straight to use. The walk is a little under 3.5 miles and will take just over an hour. We will hopefully have volunteers on hand from the Territorial Army (TA) to help marshall people and also lend some muscle for pushing wheelchairs, etc. Like last year, children, families, friends, and colleagues are all welcome but everyone who walks MUST be registered for insurance purposes and also to make sure we get enough t-shirts! If you want to donate funds you can do this a number of ways:

You can raise money (at least £200 if you're walking!) through contacts and pay it into your own bank account, bringing or posting us a cheque on the day.

Similarly, you can pay donations into your bank account and transfer them to us via the web using http://www.justgiving.com/kingsmndwalk

You can circulate the URL http://www.justgiving.com/kingsmndwalk to everyone in your address book and ask them to give as generously as they can! Even better, ask them to circulate it to everyone in their address book, and so on and so forth.

Finally, if you would like you can make your own webpage at www.justgiving.com/mnda/ and follow the instructions there.

Last year's walk was a great success and a lovely day out, we hope you can join us this year and help to make this event even more successful.

Many thanks

Paul Wicks
MND Researcher
King's College MND Care & Research Centre
London, UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Mnd/als Walk

Thanks Jeannie we can use ideas. Welcome to our site, may you be made as comfortable here as i have been
Ranger03

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back