Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
VA
City
Spotsylvania, VA
ok i saw this thread somewhere else but dealing with a male as there were condom cathedors involved

my mom gets her meds and then water and nutritional drink at night (3 times a day) so obv shes gonna have to pee, which she does but then wakes up several times a night. My stepdad is about to loose it. I think they had a fight last night over this or some reason and she was upset and obv its not her fault she cant go to the bathroom. which he knows he just tired. and has a deteriorating disk now. so he really shouldnt be lifting her either. look up my previous "caregivers HELP" post for details.

so we have a female urinal but she cant move her hips/legs properly or something, im going to try it again with her, well see what happens. also a slanted bedpan but still difficult due to so much liquid. Any suggestions for helping her sleep through the night? and my stepdad?

ty!

I would say maybe she should wear a depends at least they would get some sleep. My husband is recovering from a broken hip but he does not lift me. He bought a track for double doors painted it the color of our ceilings then we ordered a coffin 500 lb rope hoist and took the bar from a hoyler lift that we hook the sling too it works great my caregiver's love the hoist. On the track he put holes in it every 16 inches because that is how far apart the joists is apart. Next I had my sister to make me some skirts that are open in the back and tie like an apron my sling is the type that goes under and around each leg. Your bottom is exposed while being lifted but we are by our selves most of the time. It sure makes it less stressful.

If your step father has a deteriorating disk, he needs to get a lift ASAP. As for sleeping through the night, good luck. You can try the Depends, but she will probably just want that changed as soon as it is wet. I'm on month 16 without a full night's sleep.

Several things to try.

Urinary frequency can be treated with medication. You can also try limiting liquid intake a few hours before bedtime. I'd only suggest a cath as a last resort, as they increase the risk of urinary tract infections. The docs won't usually prescribe them for this reason. I don't know if they make anything similar to the condom cath for women--but they don't as far as I'm aware of. They do make a bag type thing for collection, but I've only seen them in pediatric sizes.

The other option, of course, is a Poise pad at night (they make ones that will hold quite a bit)

But the easiest solution might be the meds and the limiting fluid intake in the evenings.

Are you sure the female urinal is being placed properly? If she's able to help lift at all, there is a fracture bedpan that might be useful.

caldona, can you post the plans for the lift your husband made?

I know the ones they sell are very expensive, and my stepfather is going to need a lift if he's going to stay out of the nursing home (He doesn't have ALS, but he's 85, can't walk and can barely stand up anymore with assistance, and he's almost 300 pounds). And, I may end up needed it myself someday. If I can get some plans, I can probably have one of my brothers construct it for my Mom.
Thank you!

I would be glad to first the cost: Coffin 500 lb rope Hoist $623 each , track $59 each , trolley two for $37 and bolts and washers to be placed on each joists ours was 16 inches apart. We put a track in the bathroom, bedroom , and living room one of the tracks he had to run the length of the joists I wished I could send you a picture of it maybe if my daughter comes over she could do that If you don't care to send me your email by private message.
One of the techs told us we could do this cheaper than going medical so I started checking out hoist on line one place had them for $623 and another one was $64+.. These hoist are not for human use but we have had ours for about a year now and no problem. If there is anything else you need to know just let me know. The Reason he drilled holes for each joists and put a bolt and washer was to make it stronger.

I forgot to tell you these hoist weigh about 20 lbs. we were carrying it from room to room finally I ordered two more also we had my mother's hoyler lift so we took the bar from it but you can order that also I ordered a sling you put under each leg leaving my bottom open

I am remembering what a wonderful person named Iris told us all about when she was having such problems. It was called a Shewee. If you look it up under that name dot com you will see what I am talking about. Iris was just about bedridden at the time, and it would be easier if you could just get her to sit up and use it instead of going all the way to the bathroom. The extreme fatigue from getting up night after night to help someone can really get some tempers flaring. My mom was up and down all night until my dad got his cath, and it was a life saver for HER, but he did have to endure bladder infections etc....but in the end, it turned out to be a life saver because with ALS you are already exhausted, and then to not be able to sleep a full night through makes you even more exhausted. We did have my dad use a urinal just before the he got the cath, and that helped save a few struggles to the bathroom until it became full. The Shewee for women is like the urinal for men. Hope this helps. Hang in there.
Hugs, Kari

Just wanted to say that I would be happy to wake multiple times a night for a woman! :lol::twisted:

I'm so glad you broke the ice, Barry. The title of this thread was far too misleading. I thought: Who in the world has a problem with waking multiple times for a woman?

I only had one woman who would wake me multiple times a night, and I wish I could go back to that life! College, I think.

So let's get to the real topic here: How many women wake their men multiple times in a night?!

You guys are crazy, in a good way I did laugh.
The best solution for your mom and stepdad is find some more caregivers and let your stepdad get some rest, it doesn't get easier. Someone above said month 18 without a complete nights rest, I am on year 6 and I never get to sleep more then 2 hours at a time unless someone else is in the house. It use to be the pee and then its just she doesn't sleep thru the night.
And for his back I purcshased the machine you see on TV called Back 2 Liife, it really works, My entore lower lumbar spine is blown but this thing really helps a great deal. Also raise the bed that bending over is a killer.

I would suggest that her last feeding be finished earlier. Amitriptylene is an old medication used by folks with various problems, but two of them are sleep (the medication causes deeper sleep) and is drying; I've used it many years for sleep, and one side effect was not needing to get up at night. You'd probably need to request it since it's such an old drug.

Finally, try adding the diaper... Your mother could pee in the morning if necessary, giving her husband a longer night. I'm almost totally bedbound, and never wake my husband. But I quit drinking other than a sip for the Amitriptylene in the evening, and wear the diaper.

Barry, it's always good to read your comments, LOL.

I just re-read this thread. If she's waking up MULTIPLE times a night to use the bathroom, is she going multiple times during the day, too? As we age, bladders just don't work as well--

As long as any type of urinary tract infection is ruled out, limit all fluids after about 7 or 8. A sip to take a med isn't going to fill the bladder. If the female urinal won't work, and she's filling the bedpan (fracture pan) EACH time--that's an excessive amount of urine. They hold quite a bit.

Are you all sure her fluid intake isn't way too high? Dehydration is always a concern--but too much liquid just has to get out, too.

Oxybutrin is the generic that can help, but thee are several others as suggested. I really think I'd call the doctor and ask what they think, as well.

I dont have ALS but I do take Oxybutynin for my weak bladder. It fell 90 degrees with a horrible virus I had back in 2001. Had the surgery to lift it up in 2003 but it only helped for about 6 months. The Oxybutynin does keep me from having to get up several times a night. In fact I rarely get up to have to go. Plus it is inexpensive which is good. I would wonder also, how many times she is having to use the bathroom during the day as well. When I do have to go during the day, I have to go NOW or I will be thanking God I am wearing my pad.
Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back