Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
BC
City
Glasgow
Hi all, firstly a big thank you in advance for any responses to the below.

I'm currently struggling with the wait for an EMG and would like some advice. 36 year old female, my symptoms are as follows:

Body wide twitching for 1 year
Constant / persistent tongue fasiculations, at rest, for at least 1 month (I cannot feel these, and so can't say for sure if they've been happening longer)
Post nasal drip, excess mucus and blocked nose for 2 months (antibiotics and nasal sprays have been prescribed with no effect)
Swallowing issues (slight regurgitation and Globus sensation)
Shortness of breath
Low back pain and neck/ shoulder pain
Slight loss of mobility range in my right hand (last 2 fingers now have limited range of motion/reduced strength)
Severe, painful myclonic jerks
Tremors in my hands and arms (eg severe shaking just holding my phone, or holding my thumb up to type) after even slight exertion. I have had persistent fasics in my right thenar muscle which now has a dent where the twitches are, although this is simply my own observation at this stage.

On clinical exam in November the neuro observed fasiculations only, no weakness (right hand reduced motion symptoms and tremors have developed since then).

My EMG is scheduled for the end of the month and I confess I am very much struggling with the wait and uncertainty (unfortunately our healthcare system is overloaded and I can't be seen any earlier). I'd like to know if a) you have any advice for this appointment (questions I should ask etc) and b) if this sounds like the onset of ALS in your experiences.

Thank you in advance.

If you are having the emg done by someone other than your own neurologist the only question I can think of would be if they can tell you results after ( very often protocol says they can’t). The emg person may ask you a few questions if things are not clear to them from the records.

no this does not sound like ALS in my experience

quoted text removed

Appreciate the tip Nikki, I had just assumed I'd get an immediate result so I'll be sure to ask the question. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please when you reply do not use the reply button. Scroll down to the little box at the bottom and use that. Using reply adds a quote which lengthens threads. Many here are scrolling with alternative methods like their eyes or a toe

Noted, thank you for flagging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back