psych1rn

Country
US
State
LOUISIANA
City
COVINGTON
Hello Everyone~
My husband is 61, developed foot drop in the left foot about 18 months ago after an MVA in June of '09. We didn't know at the time, but the footdrop was totally unrelated to the MVA. He had surgery on his lumbar spine in Sept., 2010, with a 5 level fusion. He continued with foot drop, has muscle atrophy in his hands, is cold all the time and now has the beginning of foot drop in the right foot. We saw a Neurologist Wednesday 2/8/11, and they are going to repeat the EMG/NCS Saturday. They talked about putting him in-patient for the 5 day IVIG treatment. This will probably take place Monday.
Can anyone help shed some light on this? I have been thinking ALS all along, but they have been talking about ALS, MS, and CIDP.
We are both a nervous wreck. I guess I am just really reaching out for a little moral support. So glad I found this forum!

so sorry to hear, I'll be praying for both of you neighbor

When was the last EMG done and what were the results...Will keep you in my prayers.

Hi psych 1rn, It's good that they will be trying the IVIG. My husband had atrophy in his right hand and forearm and foot drop back in 2007. He had a differential diagnosis of ALS because he has a rare variety of CIDP with mainly motor symptoms. He got the 5 days of IVIG and had good response (and has received it every 3 weeks for 2 days since 2007). This helped narrow down his correct diagnosis. The damage done i.e. the atrophy cannot be repaired if it is CIDP but the IVIG prevents further damage. Make sure your husband drinks lots of water a couple of days before treatment and during and after treatment. Also, it is recommended to pre-medicate with some naprosyn and benydryl to prevent the horrible headaches that can happen with IVIG. I'll be saying a prayer that your husband has CIDP rather than ALS. Good luck and let us know how he responds to his treatment. I was a nervous wreck too when we were waiting for diagnosis, and that is when I found this wonderful supportive forum.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back