Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
My beloved husband passed this morning after battling ALS for 7 years. He approached life with a sense of wonder and was determined to carry on after his diagnosis. He was tolerant and supportive and always ready with a joke even when typing on his eyegaze tablet.

He was the definition of a self made man. After his diagnosis, he kept working at his business until it was no longer possible. Once he closed the business, we were fortunate to be able to take a trip to Greece, which we both loved. I also took him to Yellowstone, the parks in Utah, and Big Bend while he was well enough to travel.

I like to believe he is surfing heavenly waves, playing pickleball on the courts of paradise, reunited with his parents, and enjoying a carne asada taco or two with a cold one. His spirit lives on in my memories of him.

V

Oh V, I'm so sorry. You were an amazing wife and caregiver and an inspiration to me. Sending you love and strength. He will love on in your memories forever!

I am so very sorry. You both fought valiantly and no one could wish for a better care partner than you. He is free now. May your memories warm and comfort you

Wishing you peace and comfort.

Oh V, my deepest condolence on your loss. He indeed lives on, and I hope you can find peace. You have been an amazing CALS and wife and I'm proud to have been with you these past years.

V my deepest sympathy and condolences on the passing of your husband. Wonderful that you were able to see Greece together and the parks. Thank you for your support for me. You were a wonderful, dedicated CALS and I hope you find peace and strength in the days to follow.

Oh, V, I'm so terribly sorry. What a wonderful and dedicated caregiver you were to your husband. My deepest condolences.

No doubt, Ralph's spirit lives on, V, and he had a lot of that. And you, too, with all you managed to do with and for him.

Raising a glass to both of you.

Best,
Laurie

I am so sorry, V. I know how hard you and Ralph both fought this beast. He is finally free and flying high! Hope he is up there catching waves and enjoying a cold one. My love to you. ❤

V, as a pALS I have never commented in the Caregivers section, but I have followed your story, both the joys and the hardships, for several years. When I read of your husband Ralph’s passing this morning I got quite emotional, for you, your family, and in a broader sense for all of us going through this.

I am so, so, sorry. He sounds like an amazing man and partner. As an east coast surfer for much of my youth, I ask that you close your eyes and picture a glorious morning on the coast watching Ralph catch a perfect plunging right breaking wave. Most of all, remember not his final days, but how he lived, and live he did from your beautiful description.

Like Laurie, my wife and will I raise a toast tonight in honor of you both. Kevin

V, I am deeply sorry for your loss of your dear husband. You were an amazing, loving caregiver for so many years. He was blessed to have you. Wishing you comfort and peace.

Sharon

vlstra - I am so very sorry to hear of Ralph's passing. I know that you provided the very best care that you could... and I'm sure that your husband knew this fully. Love is not extinguished when death has taken its toll... instead, it survives... perhaps changed somewhat but surprisingly even stronger. There is a place in your heart, mind and soul wherein he will always reside. And please feel free to reach out to me, for any reason and at any time.

My very best...

Jim

My heartfelt condolences on your loss. Peace and comfort.

Ed

V, I’m so sorry. Like Kevin, I too followed your story on the CALS thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back