Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
My wife today had the urge to vomit while in her wheelchair. It was close but thankfully didn't happen. I'm aware from reading that this can be dangerous because of the possibility of aspiration. Have any of you had this happen to you or PALS? If so, was there anything you did to prevent aspiration?

My husband vomited soon after we got out on the sidewalk once. We never knew why.

If it is going to happen or happens without warning, you would take off her BiPAP mask, of course, turn off the machine, and support her abdomen so as to help her fully expel her stomach contents, as well as to cough and/or spit to whatever extent she can. You would clean out her mouth to avoid her reswallowing anything, and try whatever she thinks would help reduce any residual nausea.

Suction might or might not be helpful, but once she is no longer nauseated, if she was using the BiPAP, going back on it can help, though possibly at a lower pressure and slower rate for a while.

I would try to retrace what the cause might have been for her nausea today, but sometimes it's unknowable like anyone else.

Best,
Laurie

If it is going to happen or happens without warning, you would take off her BiPAP mask, of course, turn off the machine, and support her abdomen so as to help her fully expel her stomach contents, as well as to cough and/or spit to whatever extent she can.
Fortunately she is only on a bipap at night. As fast as her disease process is progressing, I suspect it won't be long before she's on the bipap full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back