Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
BS
City
London
Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question .
I have a question about bulbar symptoms , in particular the voice changes . I’ve read a few things online ( I know , it’s dangerous ) and it has me concerned . Are the voice changes to do with the actual pitch / sound of the voice ? I’ve been having my voice change a bit and when I clear it it seems to be better , so I think it’s probably phlegm , but I made the mistake of goggling and one of the things that comes up with voice changes is ALS. I’m not slurring or having trouble chewing / swallowing . No one has commented on my voice being different either , yet I’ve become fixated on it . I’m a teacher and use my voice a lot during the day 🙂
Thank you for taking the time to answer .

The first sign of bulbar is usually slurred speech that others notice. Improvement points away from ALS as does the fact that others aren’t noticing it.

Voice changes can occur from reflux, vocal cord polyps, strain from excessive talking, shouting, or singing, smoking, and some inhaled medications. Also sinus infection or inflammation. See your primary care doctor or an ENT if you’re concerned.

One of my earliest symptoms was voice change to nasal voice. Nothing made it better and it was noticable to everyone. What you describe does not sound concerning at all, I would not worry about als.

Try a nasal steroid and staying more hydrated throughout the day. ALS is not in this picture.

Best,
Laurie

take a shot of vodka, then talk. If you have it will show up.

I've had acid reflux for many years. It can do all kinds of things to your voice and even your swallowing. My first choice would be to see an ENT. Meanwhile, keep hydrated and don't worry one bit about having ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back