Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
FLORIDA
City
Jacksonville
Can someone explain this process to me? Is there a special device I need or (please excuse my ignorance here...) can this be done with a special app on his iphone? If it is a device, do I buy it on my own or is this something the Dr would write a script for? Chad is still accepting a lot of this and doesn't want to fully know what his future looks like yet, so I am trying to anticipate and prepare for us, he's just not ready for the nitty gritty details yet.

He is not slurring any words or becoming difficult to understand, but his voice has taken on a very nasely sound to it. Our Dr explained that this is more due to spasticity rather than weakness. I don't want to wait until it is too late though, you know?

I have to be honest, this is the one thing that I am most afraid of. I cant imagine a world without hearing his laughter and sarcastic jokes.

Contact your local ALSA they have a voice banking link that they can send you at no cost. Personally for me I hate my voice and never wanted to bank it. I se the standard voice on my dynavoxe .
Patrick

Search on "Modeltalker" and "voice banking".

Modeltalker requires a good headset/microphone, I tried a few and finally ordered the one they recommend.

The number of words is daunting but I set a goal of 50 a day and got thru it ok.

Modeltalker is at | Creating Personal Voices For All

Once you get the link, the process is simple enough but can be very tiring for the PALS. It's also important to do while the voice is still strong enough.

I remember having the conversation with my father to see if it's something he wanted to do. He had bulbar and his voice was already getting hoarse. He couldn't think that far into the future because it was too scary. I understood and didn't bring it up again.

He finally lost the ability to speak about 3 months before his passing. I downloaded apps that he could type into and at the very end he communicated with a dry erase board.

I used Model Talker (its free) and was pleased with the results. My headphone & mike cost about $75 and worked out well. Find a very quiet place. My voice was really good when I did the recording, but it is tiring. I took my time & did it over about 8 days or so. You won't sound exactly like yourself as its computer generated from syllables out of a variety of words & phrases (some are nonsensical) but your voice is recognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back