Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Avon Lake
With early Bulbar, does you voice get stronger sometimes, if only for a day? Or does your swallowing ever get temproarily better (i.e. with a good nights rest?). My voice was rought for weeks, but seems better today.

Does the tongue twitching start slightly then more frequesntly and stronger?

Nope, once it goes it's gone.

Mrs Pie is right but I will say that sometimes Glen's symptoms were worse at night and better early in the morning.. but the shift was very minimal and probably wouldn't have been noticed by anyone but those closest to him. We attributed it more to the sundowning caused by dementia than any actual improvement.

My mother in laws is pretty bad most of the time, however she does have a better time in the early afternoon, but for a very short time. Maybe 30 mins to an hour. I would agree with Katie C. It is barely noticeable. I only notice because I take care of her 24/7. Others do not notice.

Sorry for your diagnosis Sun123. I will keep you in my prayers.

As far as the tongue twitching goes, my husband's tongue twitching has gotten increasingly worse and the tongue itself has become more immobile. Which is the reason why eating becomes so difficult, I guess we don't realize how important the tongue is for moving food around and swallowing. Not to mention talking, any word with the letter L or R is now impossible to speak.

I will say his voice becomes a little stronger in the morning or when he's less stressed. But like the others mention here, I'm probably the only one who would notice the difference.

My mom thinks her speech is better in the morning but I was never able to notice any improvement over any other time of day. Her speech started to slur last year at this time (Christmas). By the summer, it was very difficult to understand her and now since about Sept, she is 99.9% unintelligible. She tries to articulate but can't. And her vocal cords don't work well. We're still trying to navigate alternative communication. I got her Proloquo for her IPAD but it's slow going for her to accept that. I liked the idea I read here on the forum about a gentleman who customized a whiteboard for his wife. I spent the day doing that for my mom. I covered the back with fabric and put a little stuffing inside so it will be soft on her lap. I glued a sling strap onto it so she can carry it over her shoulder when she goes out. And I put a little pocket on the back to hold the marker and eraser. I plan to give it to her later today or tomorrow. Hopefully she'll be receptive and it will help her communicate with my dad day to day.

Do you lose your voice totally or are you still able to make sounds to get someone's attention? Sometimes when I get excited or upset I can't make any noise at all.

I have issues with my arms,neck,swallowing,breathing to name a few! They all have good & bad days. I always check out first for a good response.
Mohan

My mom is still able to make sounds so she is able to get attention if she needs to. And the white board is working great. She was able to write notes easily so we could communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back