PALS
Diagnosis
03/1995
Country
US
State
NY
City
My 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan wheelchair minivan has rusted out on the underside where the conversion company lowered the floor. As a result, it failed inspection. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their conversion? The conversion was done by VMI (Vantage Mobility). VMI says: out of warranty; not its problem. I'd be interested in others experiences, regardless of the brand of conversion. Thanks.
Happy Holidays!
Chris
diagnosed 1995

could it have been winter road salt. some times feel it could eat through an army tank if not properly cleaned frequently

I thought about road salt. We take care of our cars. Our local body shop said the rust problem should not have happened.

Plus, in 2010, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had Ford recall its Windstar minivans because undercarriage rust was affecting axles. The recall was in the 22 states that rely heavily on road salt and included vans back to 1999. Virginia was added in 2012. See: New York Times article "Long-Running Recalls of Ford Windstar Minivan Are Expanded to Virginia", dated May 11, 2012.

Ford recalled vehicles older than my van because of undercarriage rust in salt-belt states. I am going with body shop view -- this should not happen to a 2004 vehicle.

My 1999 Braun-conversion Chrysler Town and Country minivan just failed inspection for the same reason. Like you I live in the rust belt east coast but unlike yours the van spent most of its winters in Arizona. The estimate for repair to pass inspection is $1750. I don't blame Braun entirely, I knew I should be getting the van Rust-checked annually as the treatment really works. I thought that its annual 5 month Arizona spa treatment would be just as good. Not.

Thank you for that important info. Mine is a BraunAbility but now I want it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back