Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
OK
City
South eastern
A couple of months ago we finally got set up for home health assistance. The VA pays for 10 hours a week, and we have it set up 2 hours a day Monday thru Friday. In addition to that, we've been paying for a couple of folks for a total of forty hours. All of this is to make sure someone in always here with my Pals. Up until about a month ago I could still run to the grocery store if I could truly make it a quick trip but not now. So for the last month I haven't been able to go grocery shopping or Run any errands, and I have no down time because the help is all here while I'm at work. Anyway, I ask his team lead to increase the hours available to us so we could have someone for a couple of hours on weekends too. They said no. Ten hours is all there is, no matter your disability level or how much care is required. I asked about respite care and didn't get a response so I called PVA and they said there were 30 days a year but they want them used in 2 groups, and I have to check him in to a nursing home for that time. I said that makes no sense to me. I just need time to run errands, you know let someone trained cut my hair instead of doing it myself ( yes I really did, and yes you can really tell). He said it's the VA. There is no logic to be found. So my question to y'all is this, is ten hours per week really all the help that's available, and do you really have to put your Pals in nursing home to get a day off? I want to call shenanigans but I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. What's the scoop?

My poor memory tells me that when we asked for more, we got more. My VA was very cooperative. I saw somewhere that regulations do NOT limit how much care they pay for, but I can't find that reference now.

Unfortunately the VA is not consistent across the board. Help at home should be more than 10 hours. If memory serves me right another PALS received 40 hours per week out of the Atlanta VA. He died nearly two years ago. He was fighting for more hours as the night time was rough on his him, and so, therefore, on his wife. Their boys were maybe 10 and 12 years old. She was struggling with sleep deprivation because they didn't have night time care, and he needed someone to attend to him frequently.

We are not at the point of needing care in the home but if we were, and we only got 10 hours I'd be upset too. It doesn't seem right. Have you contacted the social worker or patient advocate?

Does he have an R1 rating? That would give you funding for more care to pay out of pocket.

I'd also write to your congress person - Senate & House - and share the turmoil this policy has created. I've written to all of them on the VA Affairs Committee regarding vets and ALS for various issues.

A couple of thoughts: sounds like your husbands level of care is greater than he's rated for. If that makes any sense? How much care does your PALS need? Second, I think both the PVA and your VA is wrong. Your vet (if he needs full-time care is entitled to 30, 6 hour respite days per calendar year. Mike found the VA extended his Respite care once 30 days used up but our VA would not. You also could get hospice care in addition to care he's now getting but they generally don't work weekends. You could use an aide weekdays and save other help for errands?

Lov d your haircut comments.
Sherry

Also, ask about the bowel and bladder program if you haven't done so already. In addition to paying my husband almost $8500 a month, the VA also paid me directly about $45 a day (not tax free) to take care of those needs. He had the highest rating possible from them. They gave him 10 hours a week of home care, the rest we had to pay for out of his monthly check. By the end, his total care was 40 hours weekly from Visiting Angels. The PVA rep in Oklahoma City VA was very good to us. She was very busy all the time but if I was patient she always came through with the answer or solution to whatever issue we had.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and links. I had a long thoughtful post typed up, just full of insight, wisdom, cheeky humor and sharp wit, and I admired my handiwork long enough that I was signed out and poof it was gone.

He is at an R1 rating now. I've read the ALS System of Care and Respite Care Guide and I don't see a limiting number of hours for my Pals assistance, and I do see where I am eligible for as little as 6 hours a day relief with him in the home, just as y'all pointed out. The wrinkle comes in with the team he is assigned to. All paperwork for reposted care or home care is initiated with his ALS Team. And they are the ones who told me 10 hours was it.

I'm going to sleep on it tonight and draft a letter tomorrow. I'm not sure who I'll be sending it to yet but I'm not fighting with OKC VA any more. it is a waste of time that I do not have to waste.

Thanks again. It's great to know that y'all have been thru this, or are going thru it now. And are willing to share what you've learned.

I hope I didn't go over again.

Autotelic, one thing I must admit I love about threads like yours is how much helpful, spot on advice people give.

I truly hope the advice given helps you with getting more hours.
Please keep us updated on your progress with the VA.
God bless, Janelle x

I would go thru your regional va office. Find out who runs it and send your letter to that person

Bob A. McDonald
VA Secretary
Personal & Confidential
810 Vermont Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20420

If urgent text to his cell: 513-509-8454

Good luck,
Sherry

And sherry's info will get you action

It did for us!

Sherry

Or email him: robert.a.mcdonald@va(dot)gov

I recently had the VA boost my home care deliverer's hours from 15 to 18 hrs. per week but I had to show that the additional care was needed. My wife works outside the home 40 hrs. a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back