Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Margate
Va put in hospital in Miami for 7 days did every test you could imagine from Emgs, MRI, voice, breathing, spinal tap, to a ton of blood. Most time that would take many months. Once Als was confirmed with a second opinion from University of Miami I was released. But something remarkable happened. They did not forget about me. It has been 2 months now they call me twice a week neuro doctors to see how I am doing or if I need anything. Motor chair has been ordered, home baths have been adjusted with rials and shower chair. I can,t describe the total support. So if your a Vet PLEASE contact your local Va. All meds are at no expense (taxpayers thank you)..Take Care

>I can,t describe the total support

I, also, always felt the time in 'Nam was more of an embarrassment than service. Until I had to go to the VA in Cheyenne WY -- now, I couldn't be more proud of my service and our VA which truly cares.

Max

BTW, sorry you got to join our club, but welcome to the site!

Thank you all VETS who served our country and am so glad the VA is helping at this most difficult time. My pals was in the Air Force Reserves and since he did not serve "boots on the ground" did not qualify for assistance. It is what it is. Happy for y'all. From what I've read on this forum, they are wonderful to ALS patients.

Debbie

>It is what it is

Our motto for the duration :)

I know exactly what you mean. 69 to 80. I finally got something back. To me it is overwhelming. Proud I am. It is hard to explain.

Next question. Why are we als people treated so good? Vaccines don,t know but something is out of whack.

>Next question. Why are we als people treated so good?

It was the formaldehyde in the Rocket 1-2-3 beer :)

Next question. Why are we als people treated so good?

There were studies done that showed veterans got ALS at twice the rate of civilians, and especially centered on the Gulf War vets, who got it at 4 times the rate of civilians. All services, all over the world, suddenly got ALS, peaked in 1991. The study was cancelled early, and Congress agreed that there's something about military service that gives veterans ALS. So the disease is considered "presumptively" caused by service with no argument or proof required.

While Saddam didn't have WMDs, we did. I suspect Uncle Sam knows something about ALS that they're not telling us, and they're trying to avoid an Agent Orange-type controversy.

That's why the government is treating us so good.

>While Saddam didn't have WMDs, we did. I suspect Uncle Sam knows something about ALS that they're not telling us, and they're trying to avoid an Agent Orange-type controversy.

>That's why the government is treating us so good.

I expect that is right -- I have been told the 'reason' is stress-related, but that seems to simple. One wonders, but it doesn't matter much after diagnosis :)

reference ninety day vet....the only common denominator with world travel vet is VACCINES....High rate for gulf war vets may be cyanobacteria and toxin BMAA...think DOD is still denying this

I am a Veteran that was in the Gulf War. I am now dealing with the choking and swallowing issue. I also have babinski in my toes and tremors in my mouth. It has affected my right leg but it is also in my right arm.

Re: Veteran with 90 days of continuous service

I am a Veteran that was in the Gulf War. I am now dealing with the choking and swallowing issue. I also have babinski in my toes and tremors in my mouth. It has affected my right leg but it is also in my right arm.

Richard, have you been diagnosed? I'll assume not. I'm surprised to hear that you're having initial symptoms simultaneously in your mouth, toes, leg and arm. That sounds unlike ALS. Could be a lot of other things.

Let your primary care doctor know of your concerns, and see what she says. Don't be in a rush to self-diagnose ALS without an EMG test.

Go too your Va clinic. If it is ALS they can help. Take Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back