Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Southport
I would tell all veterans that deal with the VA and have been diagnosed with ALS to do the following.

1. Get with the Paralyzed Veterans Association (PVA). Let the PVA fight the VA for you. When I was diagnosed with ALS at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL the ALS Association representative steered me to the PVA. The PVA has helped me a lot.

2. Contact the spinal cord injury (SCI) coordinator inside the VA for the region you deal with. The SCI coordinator can resolve issues for you inside the VA. You can contact them directly by phone or email. The two I have dealt with have been great.

3. Get your needed equipment early. I got my power wheelchair before needing it so I could practice with it. It also takes a long time for the factory to make the chair. I was told by the Pride rep to look at 6-8 weeks and it was 10 weeks. The company in PA had three shifts going and I was told ALS people were at the top of the list.

4. Get with your local ALS association. The ALS Association I deal with in FL is now starting a veteran's monthly phone meeting so the veterans can help each other and not hog the time for the normal ALS Association monthly phone meeting.

Read this article to understand the complex SMC rating.

SPECIAL MONTHLY COMPENSATION EXPLAINED
https://cck-law.com/news/special-monthly-compensation-explained/

TOTALLY agree with Dream Land, above. That link he provides is outstanding.
Also see the 10-page PDF "Guide to Veterans Benefits" in the sticky post stuck to the top of this subforum.

The PVA should read Paralyzed Veterans of America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back