Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Tomorrow is Veterans Day.... the living get honored and celebrate.
I wish Johnnie, Mac, Earl and Ollie from my old unit of 1st Field Forces were here to enjoy tomorrow too.
I earned some medals and ribbons but one ribbon (and medal) means the most to me.... it's solid blue in
a gold frame called the Presidential Unit Citation. Not me... the unit. 1st Field Forces 14th Field Artillery.

Many of us carry a strange sense of guilt, things we had to do and now.... survivors guilt.

Ok guys and gals... tomorrow is our day. I guess.

Last edited:
Thank you, Al, and all other vets, for your service and dedication!

Best,
Laurie

Thank you, Al and everyone else who served. My dad was a WWII vet and my brother was in the Army between Korea and VN. My cousin, Lt. Col. Patti Boone was stationed at the Pentagon on 9-11. She has since retired and is working for the VA in West Palm Beach.

Thank you Al , it's hard to find the right words to fully express a thank you to you and the others who risked their lives for the rest of us.

It was a different time back then.... the Gulf War, Iraq and Afghan Vets get "Welcome Home" and praise.

When I landed at Ft. Lewis Washington State it was recommended I travel home in civilian clothes.
When my family picked me up at the airport I was wearing a polo shirt, slacks and dress shoes...
no uniform.

Whatever.... please read "Forgotten Veterans". It's one of my haunts.

I run into these base camp warriors with pony tails, tattoos, earrings, long beards, vests loaded with
pins, badges, medals they probably didn't earn but the one patch that sets me off....
(For every one solder in the field (the boonies) there are five in somewhat secure base camp support.
Headquarter clerks, mechanics, cooks, supply crooks, communication operators, brass jeep drivers.)

"Kill 'em all.... let God sort "em out." (Really sets me off.)

I talk to them and generally their stories don't add up.

I guess I've always been different... No pony tail, no tattoos, no earring, no long beard, no vest,
or hat with pins all over it.

Sorry, Had to get this off my chest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back