Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
TX
City
Floresville
So, I applied for this program early in 2018. Around June or July, we received a phone call for the initial assessment. At that time we were told that we would be expecting a in home assessment to determine number of hours we qualified for. Well time passes and it has been almost a year now. We found out around thanksgiving that the program is frozen. A couple of problems are that 1 no one directly associated with the program notified us of anything. And 2 now no one can seem to answer any questions like do we have to reapply at some point or are we stable in position on the waiting list if or when it recommence s? Anyone else experiencing this in your area?

can't comment on "veteran directed care". however, when my va neurologist determined that i had progressed to the point where i required assistance she ordered a home health aide through the va. the service has worked great and is fairly indispensable for me at this point. - - just can't praise the va enough ! !

We recently requested assistance as well so we are waiting to see how that pans out.

For those folks who have VA Home Assistance , what do they assist you with? I am authorized 16 hrs a week. What is your normal regimine?
thanks

the biggies for me are range of motion and baths. personal care such as clipping nails. light house keeping such as making bed, etc. initial visiting nurse plan includes bath, ambulation,dressing, toileting assistance,hair care,oral care, skin care, prepare meals, clean room,change linen, etc., caregiver relief, and so on. authorized 4 visits per week but use only 3 visits per week. not enough praise for va once they get going.

the biggies for me are range of motion and baths. personal care such as clipping nails. light house keeping such as making bed, etc. initial visiting nurse plan includes bath, ambulation,dressing, toileting assistance,hair care,oral care, skin care, prepare meals, clean room,change linen, etc., caregiver relief, and so on. authorized 4 visits per week but use only 3 visits per week. not enough praise for va once they get going.
FRANKB ...you are the best. 3 visits a week. How long each visit?

We both have a great doctor !!

3hrsx2, 4hrsx2, but i use only 10 hours. more than ample---for the present, anyway !!

Update: With the start of the new fiscal year , we received news that we are approved for VDC. My wife will be my first "employee " and our plan is to transition to a hired caregiver after the new year.

how does that program work? employee?

My husband was diagnosed in March and we filed a claim with the VA in June. Still going through their assessment to determine if he is eligible for compensation and benefits. It is encouraging to read how the VA is helping others with home care. I pray we are approved and can get this help.

VDC is a program that allows the veteran to hire assistance to allow them to remain at home. There are some stipulations to the program and it is not offered everywhere. It allows you to "hire" anyone including family. They are paid as an employee.

My husband was diagnosed in March and we filed a claim with the VA in June. Still going through their assessment to determine if he is eligible for compensation and benefits. It is encouraging to read how the VA is helping others with home care. I pray we are approved and can get this help.

Have you been in contact with a VSO such as Paralyzed Veterans of America? Your husband should have been approved by now. Send me a PM if you need further assistance.

VDC is a program that allows the veteran to hire assistance to allow them to remain at home. There are some stipulations to the program and it is not offered everywhere. It allows you to "hire" anyone including family. They are paid as an employee.
How much do they pay? How many hours authorized per week?

How much do they pay? How many hours authorized per week?

It all depends. They do an assessment to determine the veteran's needs. Then they work through a local agency to oversee everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back