Diagnosis
04/2019
Country
US
State
KS
City
OVERLAND PARK
Veteran Directed Care (VDC) is a well conceived program designed to keep senior and disabled Veterans in their home or residence vs. placing them in a Nursing Home. Veterans are provided with a budget to hire caregivers and purchase the goods and services that meet their needs. The monthly budget is based on an assessment of the Veteran's needs and this tool: FY2022 Case Mix Rate Calculator.

In our case, several family members were hired under the VDC Program to provide care. The income provided by the VDC program offers an extra incentive for family caregivers to fully commit to providing the necessary level of care for the Veteran. It also promotes efforts to give respite to the Veteran's spouse, who is often the primary caregiver.

Note: Based on my service dates, I wasn't eligible for PROGRAM OF COMPREHENSIVE ASSISTANCE FOR FAMILY CAREGIVER - PCAFC; however, VDC generally offers higher funding than PCAFC (see attached brochures).

Attachments

• VDC_Brochure_2020.pdf
    447.5 KB · Views: 167
  • PCAFC Brochure 2-21.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
Thank you Nikki for sharing the link for all of the VA locations that offer the Veteran Directed Care Program.(y)

Here's a special THANK YOU to the VALS and CALS who participate in the VDC Program, and to the Veterans, Family members and Caregivers who participate in other Home and Community Based Services. Each of you make valuable contributions to support VA efforts to help Veterans remain in their homes.

This is a reminder / heads-up for VALS who are enrolled in VDC and require a ventilator (i.e. CPAP, BIPAP or Tracheostomy). If your Case Mix Level is not "V", please contact the VA coordinator on your VDC Team, and request to have your needs reassessed. The budget for Case Mix Level V is roughly 4X the budget for the next highest Case Mix Level.

For more information, go to Veterans and click on Veteran Directed Care Fiscal Year 2022 Case Mix Rate Calculator under My Organization is a VDC Provider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back