Other
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Windsor
Hello All,

I'm a 25 year old man and have been experiencing muscle twitches in my legs, arms, and sometimes even my face. I noticed about a year ago that my legs felt weaker (not feeling as strong), and I constantly feel fatigued, but I fluffed this off as just under-exercise. I believe that my one calf looks smaller, but this could be paranoia, I don't know. The twitches started about 5 months ago, with an increase ever since.

My Question: Is 25 too young to worry about ALS? Also, how does ALS usually reveal itself - would the twitches predate the weakness, or the other way around?
Is an increase in the twitching a bad sign? Because it's surely worse now.

I know a Neurologist's examination and opinion is the ultimate, definitive answer - but, this is a forum about ALS, so maybe ya'll can give me some feedback based on my description of symptoms, age, and whether a Neuro appointment is really warranted right now!

Also I did see a doctor at the clinic about 2 weeks ago. She just told me to hold my hands out, then show her my feet - said, "see, with Lou Gherig's, the hands and feet waste away first" - but I've read that that's not always the case at all - sometimes it's a calf, or a bicep, or whatever. She didn't even consider the possibility after that, even though she could clearly see twitching in my leg... and my feet and hands are the least affected of my arms and legs... it's usually the front and back of my calves, and the upper part of my legs. Sigh.

Hi KidAli ... I am astonished at your doctor's remarks about ALS showing up in the hands and feet first. The PC response to that is that it doesn't jibe with reality!

Anyway ... Yes, 25 is too young to worry about ALS. There are rare cases of young people getting it, but mostly it is a disease of middle age or older.

ALS usually presents with limb weakness, or in the case of bulbar-onset, with slurred speech. Random, all-over twitches are not characteristic of ALS. In fact, as I understand it, they point AWAY from ALS. Twitches are not important in diagnosing ALS, because 99% of the human race has benign twitching at some point in their lives. Some people have intense twitching that is very distracting and bothersome and won't go away. This is called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, and it's a real condition, but it has nothing to do with ALS.

If you can't stop worrying despite reassurances, you might check with your doctor about anxiety. Perhaps schedule an appt with a neuro to put your mind at ease. But it sounds to me like you're home free.

Good luck.

does the twitching come before the weakness, or the other way around?

and my right leg AND right arm are definitely weaker... the grip on my right hand is weak, and my fingers feel really stiff and it's more difficult to hold them out...
I don't know why, but little things like holding stuff, is tiresome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back