Reason
Other
Country
US
State
md
City
baltimore
I'm 36 years old and have been having multiple problems including difficulty swallowing, mild fasiculations, and bilat leg "uneasiness". My strengths are good, but my legs feel weak and uncoordinated. The swallowing problem began shortly after a viral illness and has continued for several weeks. Basically, I can swallow, but it feels like something is stuck in my throat. I actually went a little more than a day where it felt better, but symptoms returned. I've had the gammet run, MRI brain, c-spine, t-spine, and l-spine (all negative except for some degenerative stuff). 2 spinal taps (neg), swallow eval (neg), CT head, neck, chest, abd, pelvis (neg), EGD (neg); and a boat load of bloodwork (neg). The neurologist finally did and EMG/NCV study which showed some abnormalities on the NCV study, but normal EMG. They are saying this is a viral thing and relating my abnormal NCV study as a polyneuropathy caused by a supposed virus. Of course, they still referred me to the Neuromuscular center at University of MD, but it's a month away. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't have any tongue fasiculations, but do feel as though the little fingers on both hands are a little clumsy. For months I have been waking from my sleep with numb hands so I just assumed I had ulnar compression or carpel tunnel. Now I'm not sure. Worst of all, I'm a critical care nurse - so I know far too much for my own good. Not sure why I'm writing on this board, but maybe someone elses persective would be helpful. For whoever read this post, thank you for listening.

Check out the CIDP forum. Sounds more like that kind of the thing with all the sensory stuff you have going on. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply, I've also looked at the CIPD stuff, but it sounds fairly similar minus the muscle wasting. Just wish I knew what was going on, but I know you all feel the same way. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back