Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Mateo
Hello, and Thanks for your time and attention. I'm 59 years old, and have lately been under a great deal of stress. About a week ago, I noticed a very pronounced twitch in my right bicep. It resolved after a night of sleep. But others soon followed, in both my calves, and my thighs. Of course, I Googled. I was reminded that a couple weeks ago, I noticed that my right calf is visibly smaller than my left. I assumed this was because I had a case of Guillain-Barre Syndrome 20 years ago, and suffered atrophy that I might never have recovered. But I wondered if it might be ALS atrophy. I feel at times that my legs are not as strong as they should be, and that they tire easily when climbing stairs. I also have periods during the morning when I feel that my legs are heavy. About 10 days ago, I went on a 2 mile hike, and did fine. I also did some leg strength tests at my gym, and both legs have about equal strength. But I continue to be bothered by a feeling of leg weakness. I have lost about 10 pounds because of stress, and I believe this has possibly affected my general strength. I did the recumbent bike at the gym today, and had to use less resistance than usual. My mind has been completely preoccupied by the fear of an ALS onset. I have an appt. with my Neurologist in mid October, but that seems so far away. I turn to you for wise counsel. Thanks! Dave P.S. I DID read the Read Before Posting Info.

There is no "feeling" of weakness in ALS while you go about your normal activities. It's always best to start with your PCP to rule out illnesses that could contribute to your feelings and weight loss. As you have read, runs of twitching and asymmetry are within normal limits for humans.

Many Thanks!!!

Just a follow-up: is an overall feeling of slight weakness ever an ALS symptom? I have a sense of diminished strength in both arms and both legs.

Whoops! Dave, I'm not sure if you read Laurie's answer to you- it sounds like you've asked the exact same question again!

Last edited:
Since you are still online looking at this Dave, I will happily tell you that no, overall feeling of slight weakness is absolutely never an ALS symptom.
Please return to your doctor.

Forgive me for asking what I hope is one last question. I have a new symptom. Yesterday at the gym, I experienced muscle failure two-thirds of the way through one of my sets. There was no typical feeling of "this is getting harder, I'm slowing down". My muscles simply could not continue to lift the weight. It seemed to be in my triceps, and it happened again today. I am on two brand new heart meds, and maybe it's as simple as that. And I know from reading "Read Before You Post" that "if one day you could do 100 curls, and now you can only do 50, you don't have ALS." I get it. What scares me is the new feeling of what can only be described as muscle failure. I deeply Thank You for your indulgence!

nope, you don't have ALS still.

I appreciate your reassurance. What happens in 2 months when I can't even do 1 rep of an exercise?

Dave, it's important to address your concerns with your doctor and not folk on the internet. There's really not much more we can do to reassure you here- and it's clear you are not feeling reassured at all if you are returning to continue asking questions. If you believe you have muscle failure, telling people here will not net you the help that visiting a doctor would.

Dave see your doctor. ALS simply doesn't work the way you think.
You lose a muscle, that's it. You don't lose them after doing a bit, then they work again later. You lose the muscle.
Please see your doctor we've done all we can. Shiftkicker probably actually said it even better but you did not log off so I will simply reinforce the message. You are not believing us, so we can't help further.

If the issues persist, I would check in with the doc who wrote the two new heart meds. Sometimes you don't do well with one, need a dosage adjustment, etc. And yes, weight loss, esp. due to stress, can certainly affect your energy.

Since this goes back to stress and your response to it, that's where I'd focus.

I'm hoping for some insight into the subject of weakness, because I'm kinda confused. I see posters mention a loss of strength, or a perception of weakened muscles, among other symptoms, and they are often told, "All of those things point away from ALS," and I'm familiar with the idea that "If you used to do 100 curls, but now can only do 50, that's not ALS." So I'm wondering when weakness DOES point to ALS. Is it a matter of the rapidity of onset? "Yesterday I could, but today I cannot."? As always, your wisdom is most appreciated!

Hi Dave,
Directly below what you've quoted there from the Read Before Posting is the explanation of what weakness is, as it relates to ALS.

It really does happen that something stops working all of a sudden. It is generally one muscle so it will not be a whole limb, but the movement done by that muscle is suddenly gone. An example is a calf raise. It won't happen. Think of it like your wifi signal. You are surfing the net, then signal is lost and you can't do anything online no matter how hard you try or how long you wait for a page to load. This is what happens to a muscle in beginning ALS it has lost the signal from the nervous system that tells it to work. First it is one muscle, then another ,then another so the things you can’t do increase. This is why you see progressive weakness mentioned

Have you been to the doctor, as folks here recommended in the replies you've received above?

Try reading here, it will answer your questions really clearly.
Then, please, see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back