Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Leesburg
I apologize if this has posted twice, I couldn’t tell if it did the first time. For the past two months I have been experiencing some very concerning symptoms, and so naturally I went online and it said it could be ALS. It started out with very bad cramping in my whole body (with occasional numbness in my hands and feet), so bad that I have had to take Tylenol and icy hot and baths to relieve the pain. Over the last 3-4 weeks I have noticed twitching as well now too. There is a constant twitch in my left foot, as well as sporadic twitches in both calves. Over the past few days it has also spread to my lower thighs and occasionally my buttocks. The twitching can be felt and seen, although sometimes it’s difficult to see. Furthermore, it’s almost as if I can feel my nerves under my skin going crazy? The cramping has not gotten better and I believe my legs are becoming weaker, especially my left leg. I say I believe because I don’t work out regularly so I don’t have anything to go off of.

In the last few nights I have also developed very bad hypnic jerks in my legs. I occasionally have gotten these throughout my life but never just in the legs and never every night or every time I close my eyes. It almost feels like when I’m at rest my legs could just jerk sideways unintentionally.

I should also note that I have also had sporadic twitching in my shoulders and lower stomach as well, and that I have lost 10 pounds this week.

My final question is: do twitches with ALS come and go? Or are they consistent in their frequency, location, and strength? Also, does anxiety and exercise make the symptoms worse?

Thank you for any help.

There's no reason in the world to consider ALS in your case. Whatever the internet told you just made it worse.

The kind of twitching you describe is mostly associated with emotional stress. Something in your life has changed?

Specific to your question: Nothing about ALS acts like that. Plus, moderate levels of anxiety and exercise have no discernible effect on ALS.

You could read the permanent post at the top of this subforum which is titled READ BEFORE POSTING. It answers many questions.

If I were you, I'd get some attention from a family doctor. But stop thinking about ALS.

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess I’m just wondering why I have read that cramping and twitching like mine are a first sign for some? Also, my arms and legs last night visibly jerked multiple times, which has never happened before. Isn’t Hyperreflexia a early sign? Furthermore, can you “feel” the weakness in your limbs with ALS?

1) Twitches and hyperreflexia are not the same thing. Neither in itself means ALS.

2) No, you cannot "feel" weakness -- you can do something or you can't.

3) Billions of people have arm and/or leg twitches without having ALS.

4) If you lost 10 lb in a week, you should see your primary care doc.

Best,
Laurie

Hello,

Today I saw a Neurologist and he performed an EMG. During the test he made a couple of faces that were concerning. After the test he said we will have to discuss in our follow up visit in 9 days. When I asked him if it was ALS he said “I will not use those words”. He asked me if I had back pain as well and then he ordered blood work. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help.

You’re working with a physician and you’re in the middle of an evaluation. You’re asking strangers on line to try to interpret your doctors’ facial expressions?

I think you can wait 9 days.

We’ve already given you our opinions that your symptoms don’t sound like ALS.

Not sure why he said what he said, but so far in your description of symptoms, you've described absolutely nothing of ALS. I will say this, if the doc was concerned, there's no way in heck you'd be waiting nine days to discuss results. They'd have you fast tracked to a clinic for Riluzole and a more thorough examination.

I'm not sure why you're concerned, but please don't be. You've not evidenced a single ALS symptom.

Thank you. I did want to ask one final question regarding the twitches. So again, they are in the same spots in both feet, and they go up my leg from there on the outside and then to the calves. And occasionally they are on my thighs, buttocks, and arms.

I can’t help but reading stories where this combined with cramping is a first sign. The twitches are becoming more regular as well. I won’t post anything after this until I get my EMG results, but I wanted to run this one by again.

Did you get an appointment with a Neurologist and he did an EMG the
same day? Per your post at 4:36 PM yesterday.

He did the EMG the same day.

bsm- please wait till after your appointment to post further. There is nothing the members here can do for you until you have results in hand. Besides, the doctor is who you should be speaking to about any specific findings and any questions about your symptoms. We are strangers on the internet and do not know your medical history, nor did we perform a clinical exam/emg.

Hello,

I recently got the EMG results back and they said “it isn’t ALS”, but that I do have a pinched nerve? Pinched nerves however do not cause the twitching and cramping symptoms that I am having. Is it possible that the EMG would misinterpret a pinched nerve for something else? They are sending my results to me today. Would posting them help?

Thanks

That's really good news. Congratulations.

Please ask your doctor any further health related questions. You have been cleared of ALS and this forum is here for those who have been diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers. This is not a general medical or health related resource.

Best wishes

If you post the results, we can take a look. But please believe us (and the results) if this clears you from ALS — and it sounds like it does. After that, no need to keep hanging around this site as it is not designed for you and can worsen your mental health.

Twitching and cramping definitely can result from a pinched nerve. These symptoms are common and nonspecific and can also occur in healthy people for a variety of reasons.

Please help/advise

Hello,

I have recently posted but I wanted to follow up a last time. My symptoms over the last 6 weeks are increasingly consistent twitching in my feet, calves, and thighs. Twitching also becoming increasingly present in shoulders, arms, and pelvic region. I also have had constant muscle cramps and have noticed increased throat clearing. Beginning to notice left arm and leg weakness. Recently went to the neurologist and I have attached my EMG results. Regarding the EMG I am wondering a few things. What do the numbers mean under the “Assessment” section, and could things like radiculopathy and TTS be confused for ALS? I’ve read that an abnormal EMG can mean ALS, and this seems abnormal, especially combined with my symptoms.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• miller, bradley.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 362
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back