PALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Elkhart
Hi Everyone,

I have been away for awhile hoping that I would get better with my husbands diagnosis of ALS. Just when I think I am getting better it seem to hit me like a ton of bricks. He recently had two episodes of something that ended up causing the left side of his face to go numb and some drooping of the cheek and side of his mouth. He said it feels like he has had a shot of novacain from the Dentist and when it came on it was like a nerve dieing out. Now I have been told that numbness is not a typical sign of ALS. The docs want him to go get another MRI to see if something else is going on but he refuses saying he is not going to burden the family with all these bills and that this is just all par for the course. In a way I understand his thinking but I am a nurse and I want him to have the MRI. I don't think these episodes where strokes because it only effected the left side of his face. Usually strokes or TIAs affect a larger portion of the body. But if these are TIAs this could mean a stroke is coming. He was at his Dr office with the first one and his bp was normal. He was at home with the second one that seemed to spread further out and his bp was normal. He still has the numbness and droop. He says he is getting used to the feeling now so it is not so bad. Then I thought maybe it was bulbar palsy. But was told again that numbness is not part of that either. What am I to think? Please help, I think I am going crazy. My mind is in a constant fog. I did go to my Dr for help. He gave me klonipin to help with my anxiety and it does help but it doen't stop me from thinking about this. I want him to go get another work up. By the way he was diagnosed with Diabeties also.

Thanks for listening
Sincerely Pat

Hi Pat. That sounds like the Bells Palsey a friend of mine had a few years ago. Diabetics are 4 times more likely to get it than the general population. Google search it. There is a few sites devoted to it with good information. In most cases it will fix itself in time.
AL.

Hi Al

I am pretty sure it is not Bells Palsy. I have a friend at work that has Bells and she says she can feel it coming on with the tingling feeling. With Bob's his was sudden without warning. I think this is directly related to the ALS and that is why I want Bob to have another work up. Any thoughts.

My husband had Bell's Palsy a few years ago, and those symptoms do indeed sound like it, although he did not experience 2 episodes of it, and I don't know if that would mean it is something else more serious. My husband did not also have ALS, but diabetes runs in his family. Bell's Palsy itself is not life threatening in any way, but it is disconcerting and we thought he was having a stroke. As I recall, there was no way to cure the Palsy, but there were certain things we needed to do to address symptoms. The most important was to keep the eye hydrated with regular drops, as the eye on that side was unable to function properly to blink or even to close fully.
I certainly understand your concern, wanting to have assessment procedures done to find out all the information you can about your husband's condition. Have you registered with the ALSA and the MDA? These organizations can help with medical bills that you are unable to pay. This may ease your husband's worry about saddling you with high medical costs.
I am so sorry this time is stressful and difficult. The forum is a good place to come when you need support

Oops, I guess I was writing this at the same time you were responding to Al. I was not meaning to contradict your information about Bell's. I wrote this before I read your post. I agree with you that you need a full work up to find out what it is or isn't .

My friend woke up with his. Lasted about 4 months and never came back. I haven't head of that exact thing happening because of ALS. Not sure if an MRI would catch it because it is supposed to be caused by damage to the 7th cranial nerve if it was Bells.
AL.

Hi Hboyajian

With my husbands episodes, two one Thurday at the Dr's and one Saturday at the kitchen table, the only things that are drooping is his left side of his mouth and cheek. The numbness is still there and is not getting better. Maybe it is Bell's but according to my friend at work it will usually start getting better within one to two days. It could be that I am a nurse and over analizing things. But it is still stressful and strange that those are the only two parts affected. Or maybe Bob just isn't telling me everything but he says he is.

Sincerely Pat

PS Thanks for the kind words. It does help.

Hi Al

That is what I love about you, you are straight to the point. Thanks for the info. You help alot and I am greatful.

Sincerely Pat

Numbness! What about that? That also confuses me the numbness at the affected sites. Left side of cheek and lips.

pfowler44 said:
Hi Al

I am pretty sure it is not Bells Palsy. I have a friend at work that has Bells and she says she can feel it coming on with the tingling feeling. With Bob's his was sudden without warning. I think this is directly related to the ALS and that is why I want Bob to have another work up. Any thoughts.

Hiya, Pat - Bell's Palsy effects the 7th cranial nerve, and you can feel it coming or not. A friend of mine lay down for a nap one afternoon, and when he woke up an hour or so later, the side of his face was numb and immobile. Even his eyelid wasn't responding, he had to wear an eye patch 'til it passed. Sounded like he'd been drinking, when he spoke. I don't know about the predisposition of diabetics, but I can see how it would directly OR indirectly relate to ALS, since it effects the communication of the nerves that control that side of the face. All things considered, Bell's or not, it seems like kind of a nuisance complication. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, just maybe put it in a little perspective. If it begins to effect the rest of his face, then I'd be more concerned.

Hi all,

I had Bells Palsy a few years ago. It developed after I came down with my very first cold sore (I've only had three). Sounds weird... I know. However.. cold sores are stored (dormant) in the nerves in the jaw area. The cold sore caused flu like symptoms and eventually Bells Palsy.. I would describe the sensation as numbness and tingling, as if I had been frozen for a filling at the dentist. My eye drooped and the side of my mouth drooped. It cleared up after about 4 weeks and did not happen with subsequent cold sores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back