Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hello, i am a 33yr old male(Mother has MS but isn't really effected by it not sure if this matters but throwing it in there anyway) I've been recovering from covid pnuemonia the last 32 days. But my concern which brings me here is that i started developing twitching all over my body about a week ago while at rest mostly, never when i am on the move. I would say 95% of my fasiculations are me when I'm sitting down and the other 5% are mixed between when I'm standing completely still or laying down but i have never had a twitch while moving. The twitches aren't centralized at all they will literally jump from my right arm to my forehead back down to my left ankle up to my right chest and so forth.

So if it were just that i wouldn't be as concerned because i know right now my anxiety is at an all time high from this and me thinking i have ALS and I'm done for. The other symptom I'm having is very bad muscle cramps, mostly it's been in my upper left chest area it'll feel almost like a stabbing pain at times and i notice if i flex my muscle in that area it'll start to hurt(also been happening for about around a week same as the twitches). Also have noticed some muscle cramps in my calves but that hasn't really bothered me nearly as much as they have been very faint.

Yesterday i was at the park walking and decided to do a few sprints and i felt faster than ever, I'm not having any issues with any kind of clinical weakness, i have all my strength and haven't dropped or tripped or fell or anything along those lines. I

went to the ER earlier to have some tests ran to see if i could find anything out, they run a chest x-ray took some bloodwork and an EKG, everything came out fine. A few of the ER doctors also gave me a general neurology physical to see how i would do and said i did wonderfully, and was one of their strongest patients yet, but they couldn't gave me an explanation for the muscle cramps or twitches so they referred me to a neurologist.

My anxiety is through the roof at the moment and i keep pacing back and forth because of how sensitive my muscle has become to cramping, along with the twitches i get when I'm sitting down. If anyone can provide any kind of help/information to me that i may have missed or have any other questions i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Also, they said in my chest x-ray i was fully recovered from Pnuemonia and that i didn't have covid anymore after giving me another test.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like post covid symptoms. We have seen a number of people with twitches cramps and even weakness ( which you do not have fortunately)

even without the covid history we would tell you not to worry and that we fully expect the neurologist to reassure you

My issue i guess is how fast the cramps come on once i use that muscle and also the fact it's been going on for about a week, and thanks for the reply i appreciate you and anyone else that has input

Sorry to hear about your mom. As Nikki said, yours is not a picture of ALS onset. If you hold your finger out for a long time, it will hurt, but it is not injured. Think of the response you are getting with cramps as an exaggerated response to using the muscle, and this is very common with Covid and any other serious systemic illness. Twitches as you know mean nothing in themselves.

In short, often there is no official diagnosis behind twitches and/or cramps...which is actually a very good thing. I expect your neurology visit will be reassuring.

Best,
Laurie

Hi, update since my last post. I went to see my neuro who just did a physical exam on me and said everything looked fine and that an EMG wasn't needed. Since then my twitches have calmed down a bit(still getting them every day) Until last night when i went to lay down in bed and i could hear what feels like a heartbeat in my ear followed by a vibrating sensation across my whole body which then led to my fasicuatlions shooting off like crazy while i was laying down. I am very worried and am curious what this sound like to you guys? I'm curious if Internal tremor or any kind of tremor are a sign of ALS especially since it is happening with my fasicuatlions? Thank you in advance for everything. I haven't really noticed much else besides that, feeling a bit stiff and off balance of sorts but no clinical weakness.

Sorry for not editing my post in time, but it felt kind of like i was being shook while actually shaking if that makes sense. Also, i recall something like this happening earlier when the twitching started as well, feeling very shaky when I'd wake up in the morning

I have seen this vibration etc reported here a number of times before by worried folk. They never come back and report a diagnosis. No it isn’t an ALS symptom

I'm going to say something here that is a little off topic from your questions, but it just bothers me… You mentioned that you had gone to the ER to have some tests run. This is really not a good use of ER resources (especially during Covid), and it is one contributing factor to the high cost of healthcare in the US. Instead, you should be working with your PCP - let the doctor decide what tests are needed and use lower cost resources for the tests, not the ER.

that sounds very much like an anxiety attack. but we are not doctors. please go see your doctor for help, but there is no ALS in your picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back