Not open for further replies.

MattAnon95

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello, I am a 23 year old male & I have had some concerning symptoms that I’ve been very anxious about. It all started about 2 and a half months ago, after I got covid. My left leg started feeling weird, I started getting a bad burning sensation through my left quad and then it moved down the leg and up the left arm and then eventually spread around my body. I believe it spreading around my body may have been from anxiety taking over.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I started getting random twitching all over my body. I made an appointment with a doctor and she thinks it is all anxiety related so she prescribed me with Prozac & the symptoms have deff improved but my left leg still feels weird. I do landscaping for work and I’m still able to complete my job but when I walk my left leg just feels strange.

I made an appointment with a nuerologist where she performed a reflex test, watched how I walk and did a physical test on my left leg and right leg & she told me that she thinks I am fine. That definitely made me feel a lot better but 3 days after the appointment, I started getting a strange pain in both of my hands.

The pain in both of my hands started in the fingers and the It started to feel almost like a hand cramp that moved up my arms. I don’t know if it’s my anxiety that has taken over or not but it feels almost like I have the force my hands to do things, although I have been able to do my job at work and I haven’t dropped anything. My hands just feel so weak and shaky but I can’t tell if that’s all in my head or not.

My left leg still feels weird & now with the hands feeling like this my anxiety has been out the roof again.

Does this sound anything like the start of ALS? I did read the post at the top of the forum that it’s more of a failure rather then feel but I’ve heard hand cramps are a symtom and that’s what has me all crazy right now.

Thank you so much for your time.

Hello there-

We do request people read the following link first before posting: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

It contains a fair amount of information and covers most of the questions that bring people to this forum when they use the internet to search for things like twitching and pain. The link really does answer your questions already. The fact you had covid, which causes a whole variety of sometimes long term symptoms, some of them neurological, should provide reassurance with regards to your concerns about ALS. You need to work with your doctors if your symptoms are affecting your day to day activities and causing you anxiety, however, please leave ALS behind as a worry.

Yeah, I understand that I should leave it behind but it’s so hard to once you get yourself into the loophole. Just one question for you. Would I feel it on both hands if it were ALS? Isn’t it usually one hand at a time? Both hands are still fully functional I just feel like they’re both weak. It’s like a numbing/buzzing pain over my hands.. that does sound anything like ALS? I’m sorry for bothering if I am. I have deep compassion for all of you.

No, Matt, it doesn't sound like it.

Please understand we answer these questions daily, so it can get a bit repetitive. There are hundreds of threads just like yours here. The link does answer them, but anxiety makes people ask just in case someone will give them a different answer this time. You won't get a different answer. If you have further questions about your symptoms, ask your doctor, this forum is not the place for you.

Take care and hopefully you will be able to let ALS go.

What symtoms would I look for in the hands. Both of my hands just have this weird feeling when I’m using them.. they just feel very stiff and have a weird feeling when I hold something and or use them for anything. Haven’t actually failed at doing anything yet like opening a bottle or anything like that but the feeling just isn’t sitting right with me and I do not want to Google this because that’s the worst idea I could do.

You wouldn't look for anything since you don't have ALS. No one here is going to contribute to feeding your obsession/anxiety about having ALS, so asking any more questions are moot. Please stop and move on from this forum. If not for your own good, then for the respect of the members

Hy Matt-

It's commendable and shows a bit of introspection that you don't wish to use dr google to search. I'd like to point out that you are using the folks on this forum as a proxy for that though. It's time to visit with your doctor and speak with them about your concerns. There are also plenty of decent online resources for health anxiety and places to get peer support- No More Panic is an excellent one that actually has space set aside for folks specifically worried about ALS.

Closing this thread- please don't open another. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back