Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
tampa
Hello,

I am 38 yrs old and have (2) small children. I have been expereincing bouts of muscle twitching for the past 4 years in various spots which usualy last about 2 weeks and go away. I have recently had a muscle twich in my neck which is going on for about 3 weeks now. Seems to be sporaidic, worse in morning and evening (some days are better than others). No musle weekness or fatigue. Any of this a sign of ALS? Does the twitching come before or after musle weekness?

Thank you so much!

Please see your physician, if you have not already done so.

Seems to me that if you have had twitching for 4 plus years, it is most likely benign. It does not sound like ALS, which if you have researched at all, is not intermittent. I invite you to read the stickies on this site for additional clarification.

where to I find these stickies?

You started a second thread, asking the same question... Why would you not see your GP? You will be better served
( you mentioned your anxiety on previous thread). Reading & researching this disease will only feed and compound your fear, keep you up all night and then you might be grumpy with the kids.

Please click on ALS and MND Support Group (on top of screen) then scroll down to "do I have ALS/ is this ALS "
Click on that, and the stickies are there.

Why do people post on here asking us questions and not going to a doctor? I just can't understand it myself. It's like people calling in to my work place asking if their arm is broken without getting x-ray's. Read the links and stickies posted but otherwise get yourself to your own doctor please and not us. Then if you get a definite diagnosis please join us and we'd love to give you support and advice from our own experiences. Thank you!

Why do people post on here asking us questions and not going to a doctor? I just can't understand it myself. It's like people calling in to my work place asking if their arm is broken without getting x-ray's. Read the links and stickies posted but otherwise get yourself to your own doctor please and not us. Then if you get a definite diagnosis please join us and we'd love to give you support and advice from our own experiences. Thank you!

Kim,

There are many reasons people come here before going to the doctor--many times, it's just to see if anyone things their issue is worthy of going to the doctor or not, frankly.

Others are terrified beyond rational thought--based on either real or imagined symptoms.

The DIH section has always been a portion of this forum for those that are scared, confused, questioning, and yes...worrying.

There are times I have to take a break and can't answer anymore, because I just want to scream and say "Did you READ THE STICKIES?" or "Go see your doctor like the ten people that posted have suggested." Normally, I manage to refrain.

Sometimes, simply being reasonable with answers is enough to send worried folks off in the right direction--but sometimes it's not. Most here know when it's time to simply stop answering those people, and one or more will post with something like "We can't help you as you've already made up your mind. We wish you well but will no longer feed your anxiety."

If this forum only caters to those that are diagnosed and their families--there is a lot of misinformation that gets passed on. One of the goals of this part of the forum, at least one of Allen's goals--was to see that good information was given. The majority of us try to do that.

But, being in limbo waiting to see what is wrong with you--is a terrible place to be. Especially when you have symptoms that baffle both you and your doctors. Sometimes, it simply helps to know that someone will listen.

I hope this forum never gets to the point where those with questions and those in limbo are simply turned away as not 'fitting' the criteria someone sets as being 'welcome' here.

We have many long-standing people here that are not diagnosed with ALS--some have PLS, some have other MNDs, some are in limbo--and some just plain don't know what is wrong. It doesn't make their insight any less significant or often times helpful to those in need.

When a forum is headed "DO I Have" it is going to garner questions. It's time to step back when you feel like you simply can not answer helpfully and with compassion. (And I use "YOU" as 'anyone' not specifically you, per se.

Most people here were at one time wondering what was going on with them. Some waited years for answers. Others were misdiagnosed for ages upon ages. There is simply nothing simple about ALS--and that includes diagnosing it.

Patty.

Thank you! So well said. I would have hit the like button if we had one. Instead, I added to your reputation.

Your eloquence and on point comments never cease to amaze me!

perhaps because it takes months to get to see a doctor and something like "am I dieing" needs and answer now!

especially if you have personal and family history of violence and mental breakdowns

Patty, you are patient, considerate and kind. I always appreciate your posts.

As someone who is having problems and is just starting the diagnosis process, I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been. I am really stressed out about the symptoms I'm having and, while I have a fairly high tolerance level for stressful events, it has been very comforting to me to have people on this forum check in to see how I'm doing and give me reassurance. The fact that people on this board take the time and effort to help others despite their own health struggle is truly inspiring. Thanks to all.

I think I should add to my previous post that my comments are not simply directed at Kim--who only voiced what many, many here think and believe.

It was not intended in any way to be an attack on Kim--dealing with a relative with ALS is a horrid thing to deal with. Reading in this section for many Cals and Pals can be anything from heartwrenching to annoying to just inciting fury at some of the seemingly ridiculous posts.

Fear comes in many shades--and while most of the questions asked can be and would be answered in the stickies--that won't ever stop those that simply need the one on one assurances.

Please, if you're not able to give those assurances, or lead people to the doctor, then simply don't post. When we get trolls, it doesn't take long for word to get out. But, not everyone that posts is a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back