Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Massachussetts
City
Boston
So my mum ( 52 years old) has been having a few weird symptoms that have been building up in the past few months (about 1 year).
To start with about 1 year ago she started complaining that she had a lot of mucus on throat, and she had to clear her throat frequently. She complained about that to a doctor who said she probably had allergies and\or reflux. She did a sinus CT scan and it showed severe blockage so doctors thought it was post-nasal drip. It has not gotten better though for the past year and she is constantly clearing her throat. But that wouldn't have concerned me if it wasn't for the past month and some symptoms that have appeared. She coughed\choked ocasionally (2\3 times a week), while eating and some food sometimes goes into her nose. She is also complaining of leg cramps at night. I am a medicine student, currently on my 3rd year so I know a few things about ALS and I know that UMN damage could cause cramps in legs. So yesterday I tested my mother's jaw jerk reflex (I didn't tell her why, I just said it was to compare with mine, she thought it was weird but let me do it and had no idea why) and it was clearly brisk, jaw moving briskly upward when tapped (again could indicate UMN damage). Another symptom she has off and on is yawning (she yawns loudly from time to time, I don't think she did that before, only started about 1 month ago).
So those are the reasons I'm worried she might have early Bulbar ALS. She is not slurring, speech is not nasal, and she doesn't choke on liquids but I'm afraid it's going to go downhill from here....

Hi, I just wanted to say that since I posted here and got no replies. Since I posted a few things changed. She no longer yawns (haven't seen her yawn in 4 days, she doesn't complain of leg cramps anymore, she might still have them but she's not complaining I don't know) and she hasn't choked\coughed while eating\drinking since I posted. If it was ALS I know she wouldn't have gotten better so I guess I can take that off my mind.
She doesn't have the red flags for bulbar which are slurred speech and choking so I guess I can eliminate that thought.
I admit I am a little emotional right now which clouded my judgement and made me jump from non-specific symptoms to a deadly disease.
I apologize for posting here and bothering you for no reason.

Thank you for returning to post. It really helps others when they are searching for similar experiences. Worry for yourself or a loved once can be all consuming and sometimes makes no "sense". It's clear you love your mum very much.

All the best-

~F

scaredaboutmum, you being a 3rd year med student I'm baffled that there was no mention of her being seen by a Neurologist... if you doubted the doctor who diagnosed severe sinus issues. You wrote this all began a year ago.

Anyway... I'm glad to read that in just a matter of two days or so most of her symptoms have gotten better. ?

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back