Very confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got admitted to a room. Therapist thinks motor neuron problem. If not Als what could it be?

Therapists don't diagnose MND. There are literally thousands of possibilities. Let us know how you make out.

True. I just see muscle loss and twitching. Just very weird to see loss so quick and many places. Including tricep and back.

I suspect they will run lots of tests if you have been admitted. I hope things turn out positive for you and I understand how scary it is to see changes in your body.

Let the doctors do their thing. Hopefully, they will find something treatable.

No loss of use yet muscles all over feel mushy and smaller. Very weird. Also with twitching.

Unfortunately I found out the hard way unless you are unable to care for yourself at home, even if you suspect als is the cause, the ER can only do so much. Even if they run tests they usually cannot diagnose you with als. I’ve read some case studies of diagnosis at ICU but only after respiratory failure and done by a neurologist that they called in to diagnose. Maybe your ER will be more extensive but I wouldn’t be surprised if they discharge you with muscle relaxers/opiates/Benzos for any pain/anxiety.

Best not to be hooked on addictive medicine but if you have too much anxiety until your neurology visit then don’t feel bad taking anti-anxiety medicine in the interim. Keep us updated, hoping for the best.

Thanks. I agree. My appointment is in a week. I just thought it might be something else. This all seemed to come on when I had a viral eye infection. And then I couldn’t sleep at all. Not tired one bit for weeks. Not sure if this is a symptom or not but I still have it. Just note sure what else it could be with twitching and muscle wasting.

Oh there’s tons of things it could be. Lots are treatable. My recent neurologist showed me a big list of things it can be that he had to rule out. So hopefully that’s reassuring that when you go to your neurologist there isn’t only one answer to your symptoms.

You mean there are treatable things that have both twitching and muscle wastage?

Yes! We have already said as much. That presumes you actually have clinical atrophy.
Please refrain from posting again until you have a report of an exam or test.

Saw neurologist after an mri had been completed. Saw nothing on mri which is to be expected. Saw no clinical weakness yet but did set up and emg. Will wait to see what that has to show. The biggest issue seems to be I can’t get any sleep. Every time I’m about to get into deep sleep have a throat spasm or jerk. Very scary.

Please report back after your EMG.

Good luck

Very disappointed. This is the only emg report I got. Only needle test. Neurologist was very dismissive my first visit. Only took reflexes. Didn’t feel my muscle. Said an emg wasn’t necessary and said it was stress. I feel this isn’t very thorough and have heard this neurologist has missed things. I have a second opinion scheduled as I am still losing muscle. I saw the screen as it was taking place if I could explain maybe that would help as well any suggestions would be helpful

Your attachment was deleted because it contains your identifying information. You may repost it after blocking out your name etc. however the needle test is the emg and where ALS shows. The ncs ( shocks) are often done at the same time but they are looking for other things. you already have a second opinion scheduled. Please go with an open mind and say these are my symptoms what is wrong

Here is the report. Shouldnt a report be more in depth than this?
1483D918-8644-4F2F-AC0F-D0CED3A047A4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back