Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a question. If this is ALS, would it be considered bulbar onset because of swallowing issues or would it be limb onset because cramping, twitching and clumsiness began two months prior to throat issues? It seems so wide spread in so a short period of time....Would limb onset spread to throat in basically 2-3 months without a huge disability in limbs first and vice versa?

Honestly you have been answered with about all we can say - and everyone is saying you are jumping the gun convincing yourself it is ALS when it could still be so many other much more common things.

You have an appointment now, that's great. Try to make the most of every day now until then rather than fixating. No matter what you have, you will never get this next couple of weeks back, so live them!

It took 6 months to diagnose my husband because we were going to the wrong kinds of doctors having no idea it was ALS. All that time we lived every day to the fullest and I am so glad because everything changed after that diagnosis.

Come back once you have been to this doctor and let us know how it went. All the best.

I went back to my GP. He reviewed by swallowing test results. I told him my symptoms and my fears.
He said "Well, an EMG is one of the biggest tests to rule out ALS, let's order an EMG"

I am so petrified that my world and my family's will change w the results, that I cant make the appt.

My jaw is spasming on left side..you can watch it and my whole lower jaw keeps jerking. The fluids up the nose are driving me insane. It worries me so much.

What you quote sounds as if he does not think this is ALS but due to your fear he ordered an EMG to put the issue to rest so that you can move on and get to the bottom of your symptoms.

If your EMG is fine then you will (or at least should) feel better. In the unlikely event it shows changes consistent with ALS then you can start to deal with it. Continuing to torture yourself with maybe seems the worst option to me but you must do what you choose. I don't think there is much else for us to say. Every one of us has done the EMG ( personally or with a loved one), most if not all had more reason to fear a bad result.

I totally agree with Nikki.

Of course it is up to you. If you choose not to, I hope you realise that continuing to post here would be wildly inappropriate. If you choose to, let us know the results.

Good luck in whatever choices you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back