00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Hello All Thank You For Listening,

I’m a 25 year old woman and very concerned about a few symptoms that have suddenly appeared to me at the beginning of this month... it all started with the tremors in my left hand/fingers. Now that I’m working from home, I am typing 9hrs a day and figured that could’ve triggered it. A little shaking when holding things. However the tremors subside whenever I put my hand completely down on the table. The tremors happen sometimes holding my phone, when I stretch my hand out and are exaggerated with my anxiety but there’s no pain and I don’t really feel too much weakness. I have felt a little weakness/shakiness when going down the steps in my legs. Now I’ve noticed these muscle spasm/twitches at random moments at rest, in my calf, my foot, my thigh even on my side. I’m having trouble sleeping, loss of appetite and very nervous. I’ll be soon going to my PCP in the hopes of seeing a neurologist. Could this be ALS?
Thank you.

It's the chicken and egg -- being anxious, as many of us are in these times, can trigger or worsen everything else you are talking about. I wouldn't be "in the hopes of seeing a neurologist" but rather hoping that your PCP sees no reason for that. The glass can be half full or half empty. You know the rest...take typing breaks with actual walking, get more sleep, stay hydrated and the appetite will likely return. If it doesn't, it's more likely that counseling would help than a neurologist but of course your PCP is on the ground with you. I see no reason to think of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I really appreciate your help and feedback. Since this post, I’ve noticed a sort of ache/twinge feeling in my right calf and now felt muscle spasms in my throat. I can honestly hear the spasm in my throat. I haven’t been able to sleep at all. Or eat. I don’t entirely feel weakness, however now that my calf has a slight ache, it’s been a little shaky. Could this be early symptoms? Thanks again for your kind help.

Gabby, you wrote that you are now working from home… like
so many others you are probably missing the interaction with
fellow workers and the office atmosphere. Good distraction
keeping one from being focused on themselves.

Working at home, like thousands of others, is like working in
alone in an empty room. Not all… but many many.

We here have read hundreds of Threads where anxiety is the
root of the symptoms. General anxiety for many becomes
Health Anxiety as they focus on themselves more and more.

Then suspicious fear amplifies the little aches, pain, twitches,
and occasional stiffness everyone feels in daily life.

It becomes a cycle. I am not a doctor but have read so many
Threads here concerning this issue I can say this… you appear
to be a classic case of Anxiety and becoming Health Anxiety.

My guess.... if you believe what your PCP tells you - you won't
need the added expense and time to see a Neurologist.

I am not even sure how you can hear a spasm in your throat, but again I would think of hydration, allergies and GERD first.

Sleep and eating come first, so if those are at risk, I'd certainly follow up with your PCP. There is still no reason I can see to think about neurological disease.

Here to check in!
So I’ve been scheduled an EMG with a neurologist. He did his examination as well as asked a few questions, he didn’t seemed concerned of ALS but ordered an EMG testing in 3 weeks (the waiting game) but I’m still having twitches. Everywhere. And I’m noticing it more when I use the muscle it twitches and when I’m relaxed. I really don’t feel anything when I’m up and about. However my right arm has felt heavy lately and I just got a cramp feeling in it like it needs to be stretched. I’m still very nervous. Sleep has gotten a little better but the twitches are scaring me death. Does a heavy arm come on as a symptom? My collarbone has been aching too. Thanks In advance.

No, it does not. Hold tight for the next three weeks until your EMG confirms that you do not have ALS. Together with your non-ALS symptoms, the neurologist and the folks here saying you do not have ALS, hopefully, once and for all, you'll believe this. Until then, Laurie made some good points above on how to decrease stress. Do update when you get your EMG in three weeks. Until then, take good care.

Hi,
Well the week has came.... I’ve been a wreck. Since the beginning, my symptoms of twitching are still going. However my forearm and fingers are feeling very stiff. I’m not sure if I have a nerve entrapment since I sleep on both arms heavily. But it feels tight, achy and it’s going into my fingers. Also noticed what I think is atrophy in my hand. Both thumbs also ache, not sure if that’s thumb arthritis. I haven’t noticed any difference in my typing since I’m on the computer all day. Still type fairly fast & steady. But between the muscle spasms and the stiffness in my fingers and tight forearm... I’m nervous for Thursday. Does an EMG hurt? I’m very thankful for your responses and will definitely keep you updated.

Sorry.... another thing, would you know if there is any coorelation between a virus and muscle spasm... ever heard of it? before the muscle spasms, I believe to have had covid, lost my sense of smell and taste and slight fever which has finally came back after a month! But could that be any correlation?

Yes, you can absolutely have twitches from a virus. Since nothing you have posted relates to ALS, perhaps this is something you can ask your doctor. Again, looking forward to hearing that you are cleared of ALS. Please post after you get your results. Until then, take good care, hydrate, and try to rest well.

Yes, an EMG hurts like heck..

Hi All,
So I had my EMG done... it honestly wasn’t that bad. A different experience for me, I was very nervous my my Dr was very nice and helpful. He said I didn’t show any evidence of MND or peripheral neuropathy but I’m still slightly worried because my right forearm and fingers feel stiff sometimes. When I’m gripping things like a wash cloth when showering, I feel like an intense tightness sensation or cramping sensation, best way to describe it... he didn’t put the needle in that arm. He did both my legs/calves, my lower spine and my hand of that arm but not my actual forearm. I’m nervous because that arm has been getting tired when I do things like brushing my teeth/washing/typing but I haven’t lost my grip. I just want the sensation feeling to go away. Also, I’m nervous since he didn’t test the arm, it could’ve been missed. Is it possible to miss the diagnosis if he didn’t test a specific muscle but tested others?

thanks for the feedback!

ALS is not a disease of sensation it is a disease of failure

but anyway the doctors know where to test and it isn’t always where you think. Plus you were tested in areas of symptoms and in the hand you are worried about. ALS by definition is a disease of widespread denervation Your symptoms never sounded like ALS you now have an emg to prove it. Your doctor previously told you they Didn’t see ALS on exam.

so no evidence of ALS on clinical exam and emg and nonALS sounding symptoms. Congratulations. Time to go live a long ALS free life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back