Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Pensacola
Hi all, this is my first post and I am very concerned about my symptoms. I have read the Is this ALS thread, but my concerns are eating me alive mentally.

A couple months ago I started having twitches in my body. The twitches were almost all in my right leg, especially in the calf. A couple weeks ago I had one night where I could barely sleep because my right calf was twitching so much. I haven’t had them that bad since, but it was very concerning.

I went to my PCP twice to air my concerns. She did the basic strength tests on me and found no signs of weakness, and she ran some blood work that came back normal. She prescribed my to magnesium oxide for a possible imbalance.

A couple weeks ago I started having trouble swallowing. It’s gotten worse since, and I’m really struggling to get my food or drink down. I also feel like I fumble and slur my words a lot, but my girlfriend insists that she doesn’t hear any slurring. I also have a muscle twitch on the left side of my chest whenever i talk or laugh or exhale. Literally every time.

I’m 23 and the anxiety killing me. If you don’t think I have ALS, I will happily see myself out of the forum. I just wanted to hear some opinions if anybody has them. Thank you for your time.

You might ask about screening for restless leg syndrome (RLS) and other limb movement disorders. Such disorders can affect your sleep quality, which in turn can affect other physical issues and feelings.

If your gf doesn't hear slurring, the odds are high that your perceptions are heightened due to anxiety.

I don't think you have ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie, thank you so much for the response! Do you think the chest twitches are concerning? They’re very consistent and I can’t get through a conversation without my chest twitching.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you went from right leg worries, to throat worries, and now to chest worries?! No, ALS does not come on as you have described. Twitches mean squat and the fact that 70% of healthy people twitch does not mean 70% of the population has ALS. If you had issues with respiratory onset, you would know it. The symptoms quite frankly, are not the prettiest. You said that if someone answered with them not thinking it was ALS, you would happily see yourself out. There are now two people who say your issues are not ALS related. Honestly, for your own sanity, see yourself out. It is the best thing for you. You are young; quit worrying about terminal diseases and go live your life.

Take good care

No one here has been tipped over the diagnostic brink because of chest twitches.

Nutrition, hydration, sleep, stretching, exercise and stress are all worth looking at.

Don't ruin your life and relationship with health anxiety. If you need help for that, get it.

Hello sorry to bother again, but I have been sinking all week. I keep feeling like my speech slurring is getting worse, and my tongue has been feeling tired lately. Also I’ve noticed twitches on my tongue when I look in the mirror. The twitches in my chest have also kept up, they aren’t in my actual pectoral it feels internal, every time I exert air. I also have extreme trouble falling asleep while lying down and I wake up frequently if I do. Would this be a symptom of respiratory onset? I ran 2 miles the other day without too much trouble, but I get out of breath when I climb stairs and every time I’m on the verge of falling asleep I get a tight feeling in my chest that wakes me back up. Thank you

No you do not have symptoms of respiratory onset. Work with your doctor.

no one here thinks you have ALS so past time to see yourself out as you promised initially. Closing thread. Do not start another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back