Reason
Other
Country
No
State
None
City
None
My symptoms started about a year ago in my left hand twitching in my thumb weakness cramping. Recently I noticed some muscle wasting in the top of my hand. I can not move my thumb as if to give a thumbs up. I can't spree my fingers apart and when I straighten my hand my pinky and ring finger stay slightly bent. I had an EKG and nudge conduction test done and am scheduled for surgery for my ulner nerve in elbow wrist and a nudge graft. I would be fine if this were the end of it but when having the Emg the dr kept asking about my neck. I have no pain in my neck and no loss of sensation in my hands there was something that showed up on the Emg. They scheduled the surgery before the mri of my cervical spine because the dr did not want to wait because I could potentially loose the muscle permanently. I am diabetic and asked if it could be peripheral nuropothy but the surgeon was quick to say no. He said something to the effect that this was more severe. At that point I stopped I think I was afraid to ask but now I wish I had. I am going to call on Monday to see if he will rule als out or not. I should have just asked.

Could be a lot of things, especially problems in your spine.

Very doubtful this has anything to do with ALS.

In general, always get a second opinion before doing any surgery.

Always prepare all the questions you can possibly think of and write them down before seeing any doctor, anytime. It helps.

Thank you very much for your response.

Are there any suggestions about questions to ask regarding my emg? I did look at the results but did not have a clue at what they meant. I do not have a copy. I have a second ultrasound of my hand scheduled for tomorrow and will call after that. Sorry not looking for diagnosis here or trying to suggest I have something I don't. No one has to explain away my symptoms as probably something else as I'm doing everything I can to do that myself. My wife God bless her is far to emotional to talk to about any of this. My hope was that by coming here I might talk to some people that are going through similar experiences that I am. My heart aches for those who have gotten past the point of unknowing. God bless you in you fight.

Ok so I called the dr office this morning. Did not get the reassuring news I was looking for. Although my dr roiled out peripheral nuropothy they would not rule out als. Encouraging words are always appreciated. I have my ultra sound this afternoon. An MRI to come then he will discuss this all further.

So sorry you are in the waiting game. Think good thoughts.

Please don't let them do surgery without another opinion from a different doctor, you may not need that surgery.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my posts. I won't complain because those who have been here know. I will take the advice given and get a second opinion if that is an option here. Im not sure how things work. Our health care system is very different in Canada. Please forgive me if I ramble on at times. I realy don't want to bring this up to much to my wife. We are haveing a pretty low key Christmas as it is the first since her Fathers passing. This is not helping. :oops:

MRI on the 3rd. May everyone have a merry Christmas.

Good luck to you. I don't feel that you have ALS but am sorry you are having any issues at all. I'm so sorry also for the passing of your father-in-law as well. It is so hard to get through the first holiday without a loved one. Take care, Kim

I have a question about muscle atrophy and pain. my hand and forearm have become quite sensitive. Almost a mix between felling bruised and stinging. What shout I expect. The atrophy seems to be happening quick and surgery (if I get it is 2 months away).

I realize I do not have any new information about my diagnosis overall but was interested in knowing if there are things I can do to help with the discomfort/pain as tylenol does not seem to work.

Also I added some picture to my profile if anyone is interested.

Thank you

Did you even read the stickies for this subforum? The nature of your question indicates you didn't. They were written for a purpose, to answer that type question so you guys wouldn't bother us with things that have nothing to do with ALS

Hang on a minute Dalvin he's already said the doctor has not ruled out ALS yet you're blasting him because he's concerned enough to come on here and ask a few questions. Give the poor man a break.

There's so much nastiness on this forum and it's definitely a new thing. Reading old posts from a few years back in this section the responses were not half as viscous and mean as they are now. What's up with you people? I read here because I'm concerned enough about my ongoing symptoms and reading some of the mean responses makes me so mad. Sheesh.

It's ok I took down the pics. I can't remove the post though so I m going to save you the trouble of your next suggested course of action and leave. Please note I truly am not being sarcastic. In a weird way you made my day.

Jasg1973 good luck. So many nasty comments on here. You should see how they responded to a 15 year old the other day - shocking. No excuse for it regardless of situation. I feel that if people can't answer nicely then don't bother replying. They're going to lambast me for speaking my mind and will no doubt ban me. Like I said I read but only posted at the beginning of my worries last year except twice recently as I couldn't not say anything. I just don't get the meanness . It's like people enjoy it and rip shreds out of people for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back