00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Hi, I’m coming in search of support.
I am a 31 y/o female, otherwise healthy. About 2 months ago I randomly developed neuropathy in a couple of toes. Dealt with that for a couple months, then over the past couple weeks my neuropathy seemed to change, and went in to my legs, particularly my right leg. For the past 2 weeks it has been twitching uncontrollably at night when I go to sleep. Then my right leg became very weak. A week ago I could walk 10 miles, now I can barely walk for 2 minutes. My neurologist ordered brain and full spine MRIs which all came back normal. Also the bottom left corner of my hand hurts really badly. I’m scheduled for an EMG tomorrow and I’m absolutely terrified.

Hi Steph, not saying this can't be ALS, but the speed of the change, the pattern of weakness, and the pain you describe would be far from typical.

Let us know how the EMG goes.

Hi Steph
The EMG is used to diagnose a whole range or disease and injury processes. Don't freak yourself out when you only have one day to wait.
While you have something going on, I would still expect ALS to be the last on the list.

Did your neurologist actually diagnose clinical weakness?

Yes, she did diagnose clinical weakness in my leg.

thanks for the reply - hope it goes well tomorrow and is one of the many common and treatable things we would expect at your age.

I just wanted to come back and update everyone that my nerve conduction and EMG tests were "clean" (neuro's wording). They believe my symptoms are being caused by a bartonella infection and a concurrent vitamin deficiency. I am taking abx for the bartonella and supplementing vitamins and my symptoms are improving. Thank you to the kind folks here for lending an ear when I was at a very low moment. I wish you all the best.

fantastic news, thanks for letting us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back