Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
Uni
State
Michigan
City
Traverse City
Hi, I am 18 years old and have been experiencing symptoms since may 4th 2017.

It started out in class when one of my classmates pointed out that my fingers were in tremors. After this I started to have muscle spasms and jerks all over my body, my jaw also has been jittering. Since this time I have been having full body weakness and it feels as though my muscles are tired and at times weak. My arm and hand is getting tired from typing only a little bit as well.

My jaw has weakened a bit and gets tired when chewing food, my neck has also been very tired and weak when sitting, and often hurts.

My neck is the main area that jolts, and there are times where it will suddenly shift in a quick jolt to the left or right.

Something that I saw on here in the fourms was someone saying that their father's or husband's hands seem very flushed out and pale, and I've noticed my left arm and hand is a bit more pale than my right.

idk if this is muscle wasting or just me over reacting, but i think my left hand has lost muscle around the knuckles because it is quite bonier than my right hand. I also have had trouble with coordination and I feel like I'm a bit wobbly in the legs, ankles, and hips.

I took a trip to the ER earlier this month thinking it could possibly be a stoke or something else. I recently took Prednisone for bells palsy and they ruled it as a side effect of the drug. But we now know this is not the case.

EDIT: I forgot to mention some of the minor issues, but still could be valuable information.

I started noticing a serious drop in my libido, me being a hormonal 18 year old male this seemed a bit odd.

Also, I noticed whenever I eat something I feel nauseated and I can't eat anywhere as much as I used too. I personally think this isn't a symptom on ALS by any means which gives me some comfort but I do know the disease effects everyone differently.

Last edited:
I have had a family member and a friend die of ALS in the last 10 years, so I *sorta* know what to look for. But if I knew what it was I wouldn't be turning here.

To me I see no signs of ALS just as you say yourself. If you do not see signs of our disease, why are you here? Is this not a waste of our time and yours? I suggest you go see your own doctor.
Al

It doesn't sound like ALS with problems spread out all over your body, and some of your symptoms don't tie up with ALS at all.

It's best for you to go to your normal doctor and get yourself thoroughly checked over.

Wendy

To me I see no signs of ALS just as you say yourself. If you do not see signs of our disease, why are you here? Is this not a waste of our time and yours? I suggest you go see your own doctor.
Al

I am just concerned, I have been a witness to multiple friends and family members whom are now dead from this disease.

Everyone's symptoms are different and I wanted to get an opinion from a source where people know what they are talking about. My primary care doctor is not skilled in neurology and had to refer me to a neurologist.

Thank you for the reply sir.

When you say you have seen multiple friends and family members with this disease do you mean als runs in your family? If so surely your doctor would have referred to very urgently if they thought you had neurological symptoms?

Hopefully you will see your neurologist soon and know where you stand.

Wendy

No it does not run in my family to my knowledge. Only one family member has had it within the last 20 years.

I had to go to my doctor the other day for shortness of breath and or difficulty breathing. They deemed it to be a viral infection. But that always puts some pause for concern when I've been having the symptoms that I have.

I recently went on Zoloft for anxiety to see if stress was the cause of my problems, I started weaning myself off the medication due to the fact I was just prescribed medical marijuana for other preexisting conditions. (Zoloft has a potentially lethal reaction with marijuana)

I personally now believe that there is another issue wrong with me, but ALS is still present in my mind as a possible cause.

I have noticed my arms getting thinner, but I can't really say for sure if that is a positive. I am a hypochondriac, so it's a possibility that it is all in my head.

Thank you for your reply and I am glad to hear you don't think I have it. It has applied some comfort to my situation.

Sincerely, Matthew

Not sure what the zoloft and your symptom timeline is, but zoloft (and SSRIs in general) can cause a fair amount of CNS symptoms- and can continue to do so long after you stop taking it.

Hypochondria is a stress related affliction that can also cause serious symptoms from cortisol and adrenaline reactions. If your body is flooded with such hormones, it can feel as serious as a heart attack and cause real physical symptoms.

Tremors actually point to a variety of other issues and is not considered a primary symptom of Motor Neuron Disease. Make sure you continue following up with your doctor and continue working on your anxiety. Once you have a handle on your anxiety, whatever physical symptoms you still have left will help with diagnosing you.

Matthew, don't focus on ALS. Make sure you continue to monitor your health- particularly if you have another condition that requires treating with cannabis. Work with a doctor to sort out drug side effects, anxiety and see what you can do to tease out which symptoms you have that are not related to anxiety and whatever it is that requires your Medical Marijuana prescription. It sounds like you have a lot going on.

ALS doesn't look to be on the table, Matthew. But Bells Palsy, whatever else you have and the drugs that treat it are a combination that can cause the issues you describe.

If you have multiple docs writing you things, or are not sure that your one doc sees the full picture, I would see a smart internist who can sort your drugs and conditions, so as to minimize side effects and maximize efficacy.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back