Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Cape Coral
Hello -

My wife, whom we suspected had bulbar ALS for months but she refused any intervention, was "leaving me" and packed her bags. Before she left she call 911 and she had herself removed from our home. She put an abuse charge against me with Adult Protective Services, while at the hospital. The hospital put her up in a hotel overnight, and let her take her flight the next day. During a layover in Atlanta, she was wandering around the airport and was arrested, probably for tustling with officers. The hospital there successfully got a compassionate discharge. She is still in the hospital. I live in FL, and my daughter in RI. She is flying to Atlanta on Monday to try and figured out what to do next. My wife has lost 50 lbs in a few mos, cannot speak hardly at all, and can barely swallow. I have made numerous phone calls to hospice, social workers, etc trying to figure out what to do next. My thinking is that hospice is best. She started having speech issues 2 years ago, but since she is also Bipolar I, we thought it was her meds. She is in denial about her disease and has FTF dementia along with Bulbar ALS. Should she be in a hospital, skilled nursing facility, or a hospice? I felt hospice was best all the way around if she can get approved. I feel she shouldn't be home seeing that she is afraid of me and paranoid and wants a divorce. The night before she left she put her luggage into a neighbor's car and police were called. But we don't know where she will be discharged to, by the Atlanta hospital folks. I know hospice is covered by Medicare, while SNFs are insurance-based and my wife's insurance would cost $160 a day after day 20 thru day 90. We are at our wits end. Any suggestions?

Do you have ANY authority, any paperwork? Power of Attorney? Health care surrogate?

She might leave Atlanta to continue her trip. While she cooperate with daughter?

Nothing you can do while Hurricane Matthew is grounding traffic. Others will come along with suggestions, but I think they'll need info like the questions I asked.

Short of getting her declared incompetent in a court, you are stuck without the paperwork Mike mentioned. Denial, dementia, and mental illness with the cognitive decli e als patients experience is a bad combination.

No real words of wisdom other than having her commited for mental health eval....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back