Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stupid question

my Chris smoked his last cigarette (well kind of sat and inhaled it) about 30 hours before he flew free

did it hasten his progression? can't tell, he had rapid progression but not from cigarettes.

smoked my lasy Dec 7th 1982

im still smoking. it's not good i have to have jane light it for me and trying to hold it is something else. i have to have something to put my arms on if i want to smoke. it been really hard i don't smoke in the house. it's getting cold now i don't know where im going to smoke now. the dr that gave me my walking papers told me that those things are going to kill me. this was right before he said i had als. i said wait right here i got to go out and smoke a pack or two. my als dr's i got now they all knows that smoke and they don't say anything about it.

Davbo, love it when the docs say things like 'that's gonna kill you'. I feel like saying 'and ALS won't?'

My husband doesnt smoke but I dont think it would be good for your lungs if you are having breathing issues. May be worth it to cut back some if your breathing worsens. I am a big fan of doing the things in life that give you enjoyment. At this point, I say smoke if it makes you happy.

This is not a stupid question at all.

Here's all I know about smoking and ALS.

When you quit, and you will quit at some point in your progression, your alveoli sacs will begin to clear themselves out, which involves coughing for a few weeks.

You just have to decide when you want to begin your coughing fits, now or later. I would ask a pulmonologist about this.

I will just add smoking decreases the effectiveness of riluzole

I still smoke, I know I shouldn't but I do. My Dr's never even bring up the subject anymore. My CALS does limits me to 10 a day. He all kinds of hiding places for the carton the he knows I can't get to. Love him dearly but he can be such an ass sometimes lol.

Patrick

I guess that smoking will hurt your lung capacity and may hasten death by a bit but if you enjoy it you need the pleasure now. What the heck, you dont have to worry about lung cancer.

Patrick,thanks for the chuckle! Obviously, your "ass" partner really cares about you and is showing it creatively!

> What the heck, you dont have to worry about lung cancer.

... knock on wood.

fwiw, I recommend quitting TODAY -- lack of respiration is what kills us. period. smoking adds to the 100-fold. enjoy every second of the pain and suffering of withdrawal or get meds to help. talk to your pcp and get off the weeds now, like your life depended on it because it does ...

not like I really have an opinion :)

>You just have to decide when you want to begin your coughing fits, now or later.

now while you have the strength to cough or later when you don't!

Max was being subtle [ ;^) ], but I wholly agree. Do anything you can do to keep your lungs pumping longer.

now let me see. what one would take me the easiest. door number one als or door number two smoking hmmmm. jk it's probably best to stop. i don't know if can that easy but i have cut down a lol

>>i don't know if can that easy but i have cut down a lol

I quit twice for 6 months, and knew I could never do it. Then at 10 PM on December 7th, 1982 in our local pub, the Bad Balgach, I put my cigar out in my snifter of Cognac, and quit. withdrawal lasted around 10 years, the last time I dreamed I was lighting up.

now there are non respiratory aids to help. Nike -- just do it (most of my greatest ideas are 'easier said than done') ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back