Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PH
City
Manila
Hello and thank you for creating this caring supportive forum! Made sure to read stickies before posting.

I am 53F, Asian. Have been in extreme anxiety for the past 6 months from strange symptoms.

Symptoms began in late Dec 2021 with widespread nerve zaps. This went on for 1-2 months. I did an online consult with a neurologist who said it could be hyperventilation.

In January 2022, my whole family got Covid except me. After the sheer stress of that month, the nerve zaps diminished and I began to get numbness in extremities especially my right leg starting Feb 2022.

I had an NCS and EMG in Feb 2022 to check if I had any neuropathy or carpal tunnel. I also saw a neurologist because I feared MS (it was not)

EMG came back normal. EMG tested the tibialis anterior, rectus femoris, deltoid, and 1st dorsal interrosseous, all on the right side.

I consulted 2 neurologists and rehab doctor and had normal clinical exams.

Due to neck and lumbar pain, I got MRIs which showed multiple disc degeneration and nerve abutment (not yet compression).

However starting middle of March 2022, the the numbness in the right leg diminished and I started getting twitching all over. For almost 3 months, I have had buzzing and vibration under my feet, fingers, muscle fluttering in my buttock. I get 1-2 muscle thumps under and on top of my feet, forearm, knees, calves. Maybe 20+ in a day.

When I stretch my left thumb, my thenar muscle sometimes goes up and down before it settles.

My fingertips are always pruney even if I havent been in water.

When doing dumbells in my left hand, the hypothenar twitched strongly after I put the weight down.

If I am arguing with someone, I surely get a muscle thump. I also still get nerve zaps but much less.

I saw my 3rd neurologist who could find nothing in the clinical exam. He said I could repeat my EMG in a few months

My questions are
- could my first EMG been done too soon ? I only had nerve zaps and numbness at the time of the EMG and not yet twitching.
- I'm over 50 so twitching is more of a concern vs young folks? I dont have any weakness, can do all normal things, tip toe, heel walk, tandem walk, push ups.

I have read the stickies and just concerned due to my age and the fact that I have been twitching for just 3 months.

Thank you so much for your attention and input !

1. No, you seem to have been quite well cleared of ALS
2. Twitching means nothing, no matter your age.

The stickies do tell you this, please read them again and return to your doctor if you continue to feel this level of concern.

Twitching can be caused from a lot of things unrelated to ALS. Some of them are stress, lack of good hydration, side effects of meds, viruses, vitamin deficiencies, not enough sleep, too much caffeine...the list goes on.

Enough people have them that there is a condition called benign fasciculation syndrome.

I'm glad you're working with your doctors. Try not to stress out. And don't be afraid to re-visit your GP if things don't improve.

Thank you so much Kim and affected for this assurance and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back