Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
DC
City
Washington
Almost exactly two weeks ago I felt a very sharp pain in my left knee while I was sleeping, like a nerve was being pinched. My knees have had minor problems before but nothing like this, especially while at rest. Two days later I noticed the pain in both my knees while standing- this sharp pain that I have never felt, followed by pains both below, above and behind my knees and sharp pains in both of my ankles. Two days later I felt tingling all throughout both of my legs and started to think something more serious might be wrong. Three nights later I felt a sharp pain in my left hand, almost like my hand had fallen asleep, but I was still awake and it was not in an akward position. I also then noticed that I had a charlie horse type feeling in both my inner and outer forearm in seperate places, almost like a very bad bruise, but no bruise to show for it. I have recently had that charlie horse type feeling further up on my left arm and I have started to feel tingling in both my spine and my neck! My knees and ankles will tingle from time to time and I am getting this tingling sensation in other random parts of my body. I noticed the tingling in my right hand earlier today along with tighness (charlie horse feeling) in my upper right arm. Even as I write this I am noticing a stiff neck and a somewhat sore muscle around my collar bone. I haven't noticed any pulsating of the musles yet, but all this stiffness and tingling at once is very scary. I have an appointment scheduled with my Doctor next week, but my mind is racing as to what could be causing this, and whatever it is it's getting worse fast. Is there any possibility this could be ALS? I've also read things related to lyme disease, thyroid troubles, dyabites, MS, etc... But the more I am reading of other people's accounts of tingling and cramping this is really starting to worry me. Any information provided is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ollie

Ollie, those are alarming symptoms, but almost certainly point AWAY from ALS.

The hallmark of ALS is weakness and muscle atrophy. It has nothing to do with sensations, such as tingling. Cramps and muscle contractures are associated with advanced ALS, not with onset.

Hope your doctor figures it out real quick.ALS would be the last thing I would think of, not the first.

Good luck.

I feel bad posting such a lengthy post when many have been already clinically diagnosed with this aweful disease and are trying to cope with it. My prayers are with you.

My uncle recently passed away from ALS and it only took about 6 months from the time he was diagnosed, and the more I research this I am finding out how aweful things must have been for him towards the end.

I would be very very greatful for any one's opinions and thoughts on my situation.

Thank you

Ollie -
Even though ALS is rapid - it is not that rapid. My husband never has true pain with his "spasms." It kinda sounds like nerves - but I think your doctor needs to make that decision. ALS or MND cannot be determined by anyone but them - start at the bottom - not the top of the list. We have been going to neurologists all summer and my husband has had many tests - diagnosis takes time and testing. The internet is evil - I see my husband's symptoms and could still convince myself I have ALS by reading some of these resources - every leg cramp, twitch, shoulder pain etc. It could he ALS - it could also be vitamin deficiency, dehydration, etc, etc, etc. Start with your doctor - not the internet!

Ok, I hope that you're right... I tend to always think of the worse case scenario, and I've read ALS can affect many people very differently. But that's still reasurring to hear.. it's hard for me to wait until next week for some sort of diagnosis, but at least I'll sleep a little better knowing there is even less of a chance that it is ALS.

Hi Ollie,

I had similar problems that you described and it ended up being Lyme Disease. I had the same symptoms but as they progressed other issues kept appearing until I had about 20 different problems going on at once. Get checked by your doctor and hopefully they can steer you towards some answers.

mesa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back