Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
DC
City
Washington
I've posted twice under: Very Alarming Symptoms.....
Guys I dont' know what I have but my muscles are litterally waisting away.... Doing simple things are all feeling harder by the day... in case some of the regulars are wondering who I am, my original post is pasted below... It is now harder for me to walk and even do normal things and and all my muscles have lost a lot of tone.... I don't know what to tell you guys as far as me having the initial symptoms below but, this really sucks.... I had some success on antibiotics, but then started getting worse after the effects of the antibiotics wore off (bacteria resistance I'm assuming), so call it what you will, but it almost looks like I have some bacteria induced version of ALS :(.... So now I'm in a pradicament where nothing is helping me any more :(... I'm almost at the point where I feel I may have to quit my job soon because walking it getting difficult... I've seen several doctors and it seems like I'm getting no where with no answers... At this point I probably have ALS and I will be in a bad predicament where I'm still waiting for a diagnosis from the neurologist so I can quit my job finally... or be forced to quit because I can't walk.

What should I do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

10/27/2009
Almost exactly two weeks ago I felt a very sharp pain in my left knee while I was sleeping, like a nerve was being pinched. My knees have had minor problems before but nothing like this, especially while at rest. Two days later I noticed the pain in both my knees while standing- this sharp pain that I have never felt, followed by pains both below, above and behind my knees and sharp pains in both of my ankles. Two days later I felt tingling all throughout both of my legs and started to think something more serious might be wrong. Three nights later I felt a sharp pain in my left hand, almost like my hand had fallen asleep, but I was still awake and it was not in an akward position. I also then noticed that I had a charlie horse type feeling in both my inner and outer forearm in seperate places, almost like a very bad bruise, but no bruise to show for it. I have recently had that charlie horse type feeling further up on my left arm and I have started to feel tingling in both my spine and my neck! My knees and ankles will tingle from time to time and I am getting this tingling sensation in other random parts of my body. I noticed the tingling in my right hand earlier today along with tighness (charlie horse feeling) in my upper right arm. Even as I write this I am noticing a stiff neck and a somewhat sore muscle around my collar bone. I haven't noticed any pulsating of the musles yet, but all this stiffness and tingling at once is very scary. I have an appointment scheduled with my Doctor next week, but my mind is racing as to what could be causing this, and whatever it is it's getting worse fast. Is there any possibility this could be ALS? I've also read things related to lyme disease, thyroid troubles, dyabites, MS, etc... But the more I am reading of other people's accounts of tingling and cramping this is really starting to worry me. Any information provided is very much appreciated.

Sounds like post virus symptoms. You mentioned things improved on antibiotics and then flared when you went off. Talk to your doctors about what is happening, and discuss the possibility of trying the antibiotics long term. Sounds nothing like ALS. Take care and head back to your doctor with your worries and questions.
Laurel

I agree with laurel -- you should be heading back to your doctor if your symptoms are getting worse. Also, it would be helpful if you would provide some information as to what your doctors have already said about your condition during your previous visits to them these past few months -- what tests that you have been given and what the results were, any possible diagnoses the doctors are considering, etc. Even though your current condition is probably not ALS, more details (especially a tentative diagnosis) might help someone here to direct you to a more appropriate Internet resource to help you find the information you seek.

Finally, since you do not appear to have an ALS diagnosis, you should be posting in our "Do I Have ALS?" forum. Posting in that forum assures that people don't make mistaken assumptions about you that might cause them to give you inappropriate advice that would waste your time in your search for answers.

Best of luck to you.

I've not heard of bacterial induced ALS...I would caution you against assuming you have ALS. There are soooo many other possibilities that are more likely.

Hope you get some clarity from your doctors soon!

The reason you have never heard of bacterial-induced-ALS . . . is because there is NO SUCH THING as far as the scientific / medical community is concerned. No one knows what causes ALS. Intuition, I sure feel for you . . . but it gets my blood boiling when I see statements like you just made. That is how misinformation is spread on the internet. Let us refrain from making such statements. I wish you luck in your recovery.

P.S. Your story isn't even close to an ALS story, but I'm sure what brought you here was more crappy information on the internet. Again, let's not make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back