Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WI
City
La Crosse
Hello,
My uncle was diagnoised in India with ALS in April 2008. Last week, he was admitted to hospital and is on ventilator, according to people with him he is so weak that bi-pap is not helping.

My questions is: Should we ask for tracheostomy so that he can go home and be on vent using tracheostomy. I keep mentioning about using the mask, but it is not seeming to work, dont know the quality of mask they are using (Can I buy better ones here in the US ) . How viable is tracheostomy. He is now on 24 hour ventilator support, how can we take him off vent and use any less invasive procedures.
Please reply
Thanks

From what you have described, I would recommend getting a tracheostomy as it will make life so much easier for your Uncle. If the mask is not working then you need to forget about trying to use one and push for the tracheostomy. It is so much nicer than trying to use a bipap and mask. You can scroll to the bottom of this page and click on one of the links for more information about traches and vents

my understanding is that in India they do not send people home on a vent, i.e. if you get a trache+vent, you go into a nursing home, in India.

A tracheostomy is probably the best way to go for your uncle but it is harder on the caregiver. Once they open the hole in the trachea suctioning will be required and depending on your uncle, it could be occasional, often, or very often. My mom is on a vent via trach and she has to be suctioned at least 15 times a day. We had no choice because she hates masks and it was the only way I could get her out of the hospital and back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back