Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
northville
My husband has been diagnosed with ALS in December. Most of the time he is pretty good, but some times he get mad with frustration and yells. I understand but sometimes it hard to be everything. A wife, chef, cleaner, dentist , mom and still have time for me. He doesn't understand that I can't always be good at everything. It its hard for me to work but I have to for insurance and money. Out nearest family is 1200 miles away. Just need to vent, Thanks

Please join us on the "pity party" thread. You're not the only one venting.

Debbie

Hah! I came here expecting to read something new on vents. As Santa Joe says, this thread could find a better home elsewhere.

>Hah! I came here expecting to read something new on vents. As Santa Joe says, this thread could find a better home elsewhere.

HAH! Me too… The pity party thread seems appropriate :)

Thanks, new this and will move

That's ok - thought the "Pity Party" site would be a good place for you to go. We vent, cry and even laugh. I couLd not go through this journey/nightmare without it. You will interact with so many wonderful CALS who can relate. After you start reading the post you will see that you are not alone. Welcome.

Hi Ccordone,
It may well just be (and hopefully is) the frustration/anger/despair all PALS feel but you should be aware of FTD which is a nasty dementia associated with ALS; scan thru the FTD forum.

good luck, and you are not alone. 8^]

I understand completely I have ALS and it seems like my husband is the hardest one to understand my speech. I get so frustrated so I started writing it down on my boogie board. But when we get into an argument he doesn't give me a chance to even write.He thinks he's in the dark on everything.Which he probably is beings he doesn't have the patience to let me speak, I mean write. Besides my husband, when I go out in public and try to talk they think I'm retarded or deaf. I've now take my boogie board with me everywhere.They still think I'm deaf lol.

>I have ALS and it seems like my husband is the hardest one to understand my speech. I get so frustrated so I started writing it down on my boogie board. But when we get into an argument he doesn't give me a chance to even write.He thinks he's in the dark on everything.Which he probably is beings he doesn't have the patience to let me speak, I mean write.

I really am convinced the CALS have it harder than us ... I can't imagine the frustration of dealing with me. I get short, rude, with Sandy when she doesn't hear/understand me thee first time ... like it's her fault!

My husband is far more patient with me than I am with him, when he doesn't understand what I am saying. I wish he would wear his state of the art hearing aids, and sometimes he says that he will lend them to me. My favourite is when I say something to him, and he says the same thing back like he was the one that brought it up. Well I guess it means that we are on the same page, anyway.

Paulette

>My favourite is when I say something to him, and he says the same thing back like he was the one that brought it up. Well I guess it means that we are on the same page, anyway.

That started with Sandy about 35 years ago, but I always have to preface with 'what?' -- she is *very* soft spoken. I, OTOH ...

The problem is that my speech can be a bit soft, but when I repeat myself a little louder it sounds angry and loud, and then he is hurt. Honest there doesn't seem to be an in-between. We often find ourselves thinking the same thing, that has nothing to do with what we are doing at the time. Like I said I feel we are an extension of each other. Inside of Tim's wedding ring I had engraved " I am you, you are me, we are one."

Paulette

>Inside of Tim's wedding ring I had engraved " I am you, you are me, we are one."

I may do that on the inside of mine for when I have to pass it back to her. Thanks, Paulette!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back