Status
Not open for further replies.
all my best

Thinking of you Becky and Matt. Love you folks.
Hang in there Becky, Beth going through a lot the same.
Matt and I are lucky guys

Hugs Becky! You are doing a great job!

Becky,

Have I mentioned, recently, how absolutely awesome you are?!? Well done! You go, girl!!!

Jim

Awe, my crown is glistening!!

The night went well. I stayed, but after pressing the call button I went back to sleep while the nurses took care of him. Unfortunately, there was still me in the middle to call them. working on weaning him to his call button. He has a new micro switch that his finger can activate.

Unfortunately, his sputum is NASTY. Just got a good sample to culture along with his blood, but I'm beating we have a course of antibiotics coming our way...

Two words on the eye gaze!!! Yeah!!! I'm pushing for just the hard words that I can't get....we will go forward from there.

Oh my, the supplies. It's a good thing my closet is almost empty...

I stopped changing my cloths. I'm wearing now what I put on yesterday after my sponge bath in the waiting room RR, and I don't care :). I did brush my teeth.

I must say, it's a lot easier to use the cough assist with the trach, and Sue is right about changing out the inner cannula. I did my first today and no longer panic when the hoses pop off the trach (a lot of moving around, and sometimes he has a strong cough that just blows it off). I just pop it on and don't stress. It is tougher telling Matt that we will be here 4 more days so that we don't have to return on Monday.

He is making sounds when the cuff deflates a bit, which is encouraging.

D r Bedlack came by this morning in his gold sequined Elvis Jacket. that was today's high point.

I wish I could respond to each of you individually. Please know that you mean the world to me. People ask if there is anyone here supporting me, and I can honestly say yes.

Becky
Today Queen of Capturing Sputum.

Becky, Still thinking about both you and Matt.

I so wish I had Dr. Bedlack for a doctor. He's the best.

You’re another of my heroes, Becky. Polish up that tiara because you’ve earned it. I would have loved to have seen that Elvis jacket. The thought cracks me up. I hope it gave Matt a chuckle.

I am amazed every time I read one of your posts Becky. I am so glad things are getting a little more settled and I hope you are getting some rest.
You are my hero. Hugs!

Becky,

I have been thinking of (and praying for) you and Matt as you go through this. You are one amazing CALS and he is one amazing PALS.

Your stories never cease to inspire me. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Steve

Becky awesome news that you’re getting it. Individually the tasks are not hard. I knew you could do it. Definitely get the antibiotics before going home. As you know it’s huge to get that figured out ASAP. I’m so proud of you.

As to the supplies, I have nearly and entire walk-in closet dedicated just to the supplies. UGG. However, they are necessary and will be replaced each and every month.

Happy to hear you are sleeping a bit. And doing the RR sponge bath/hair wash is something I can definitely relate to. :)

Hugging you and holding you tight!

Sue

Hope the antibiotics do the trick fast Becky. Lots of hugs and I don't care what state your clothes are in!

U R Awesome. Like everyone else has said, it is a lot of stuff...and things. But sounds like you are beginning to have a handle on it. It will take time, but it will get easier with practice and time. One of the next things you will probably learn and have to deal with...is the suction machines you get for home use are not near as strong/effective as the hospital suction. You will want to have more than one unit at home, or we did. One for the room where he spends most of his time, and another for the bedside. And it is good that one of them is kinda portable, so with a converter you can use it in a vehicle. Suctioning needs come at the dangdest of times. And yes, its nasty...but you will learn to overlook that too...just as you have lots of other things by now. Again, U R AWESOME! But do get some rest...you need it to be able to stay on top of your game...if you overdo, you are waaaay less effective. Go girl, go!

tc

Thinking of you both, and sending huge hugs.
Wendy xx

A quick update--we had the nurse from hell two nights ago. The MICU was full and folks were busy, so I hovered and used my teacher training to model how she needed to handle my husband. SHe settled down a bit, but I spent the night watching her. I made a comment early in the morning about her, and by the time I came back several hours later (our girls were here with Matt) to ask that she not be assigned to him again, it had already been handled. Everyone else here is fabulous and she was nasty to them as well as to us, so I don't think anyone else took offense at my request.

I finally got that night in a hotel bed last night, and all I want is more sleep. Daughter is in the hotel sleeping--if Matt rests today I will curl back up in this reclining chaBecky
r that I seem to be rooting myself to and get even more sleep!

Becky I’m so sorry you had to have a night with a cranky nurse. Hopefully, it was just something else she was dealing with in her own personal life and will do better with others going forward. We too suffered a day like that right after B was trached. I asked her to help him with a bed pan and she hit the panic button on the side of the bed to get him flat to roll. Fresh surgery and he plunked down and bounced the bed went so quickly. I was hot and fortunately the nurse from the ALS clinic had been visiting and witnessed “nurse Ratchet”. She helped me get B back off the pan and kept watch while I suctioned him, so that we would not need her “services” again. Scary times to be sure. It’s those types of things that make you want to get them the heck out of dodge, knowing you will do better even if you are slower and still learning.

I’m happy to hear you were able to get a night at the hotel and rest up some. You will need that for the coming weeks until Matt is completely comfortable on the vent.

Sending hugs, and as always I’m here for any questions.

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back