Status
Not open for further replies.
Becky, you and Matt are in my thoughts. I hope all went well with the surgery and sending wishes for a quick recovery for Matt and the ability to handle this next challenge with the same strength and grace that you have shown in the past.

Sharon

UPDATE from Becky

The procedure to place the trach went really well.

They did have a rough night but the care in the VA hospital has been wonderful Becky reports.

They appreciate that everyone is thinking of them and the support that is pouring through here.

Of course it's pretty huge for Becky being in there, she hopes to get back here soon for more of an update but I'm sure you all understand she is running to keep up and wanted to let you know that all is OK.

thinking of you two. Sending positive thoughts that all went as well as it could.

Becky, I am hoping and praying that today was a better day. My thoughts have been with you several times today. Hugs Becky!

You've brought me, as a newbie, into the forum today,
Becky. I believe venting is a very important relief mechanism.
Good for you physically. I am grateful that you shared this.
I'm sure it wasn't easy to write it all down,
but I'm thankful you did. No, you're not going nuts. You're a queen.

I think I'm officially graduating from "we're making the most of it while we can" to "Yep, this really, really sucks".

It's been a tough few months, with five ER visits and two hospital stays, three cases of pneumonia and one of the flue. No Matt, when you stop choking on every bite or sip it does not mean things got better. It means your body is so used to aspirating that it no longer reacts.

This afternoon we checked into the Durham VA MICU, where Matt will be trached and vented tomorrow morning. I'm actually ready for it, since that's what he wants to do. I certainly didn't want to do it as an emergency measure. Hopefully we will be home in a couple of days, where we should have nursing help from the VA.

I must confess that I finally understand how it can take an hour or more to get a PALS tucked in for the night....and this is someone who spent the entire day in bed. Matt no longer has any functional use of his hands--they move a bit, but they won't do anything for him. Scratch, rub, change the channel, blow, pick, wipe.... If you've been there you know what I mean, and if you're not there yet it's too soon to worry about it.

I'm no longer friendly at 3am. In fact, it seems I'm downright ugly at 3am. I will schedule at least one overnight shift a week. Other shifts I think may start at 7am...so they can handle the morning routine and I can go back to bed in another room. In this we are extremely fortunate. I DO NOT function well without sleep. I mean 7 good hours of sleep. If I had to do this all by myself, well, I don't know how long either of us would survive. I think perhaps as my darling was burning up his muscles and strength and hastening his progression with all of our adventures and travels, I was also burning up my reserves.

So, a new phase of this adventure starts tomorrow. No more slipping out for pizza and leaving him alone for 20 minutes. Oh...never mind....he was told to stop eating by mouth two weeks ago, so it's time for me to start that diet I've been putting off until he stopped eating. I do believe I will research diet services that send prepared food. Who wants to cook? I'd better do it soon--I've had nachos for dinner three times in the past week. That's not going to help anything!

I've been in a pretty deep funk for the past six months or so. This decline has been hard to take. I just haven't been able to find anything positive to share, and I hate being a downer all the time. Now that the terrible event is upon us, well, I almost feel a sense of relief. How stupid does that sound? I can just see myself re-reading this a year from now and shaking my head at my foolishness. Or maybe it's just more self-preservation.

The RT here in the hospital just turned the alarms on the vent on. Crap. Why do I want to hear an apnea alarm when the vent self adjusts to handle the problem? Yeah--that might not stick once I"m home. I do need to learn about the other alarms, however.

ok...off to get something for his headache. Every pain in his body need. s a different medication.

Becky
Not feeling very Queenly tonight. Nothing comes to mind.

Nuts...thinking about you and Matt as you begin this new chapter in your journey. Hugs to you both.

Hello Family, and thank you for all of the support!

OK, I was a bit optimistic about going home so soon. I spoke to the pulmo during rounds this morning and asked about staying through Monday to avoid the grueling return trip for the first trach change (after that they happen at home). He is in agreement. I've been practicing on Dan the Dummy since yesterday, and the RT who supplies the Trilogy, who has been with us from the beginning, comes at noon to give me her training and get Matt off the hospital vent and onto the Trilogy. Next shift, I change the inner cannula. It seems fairly straight forward, once I get it all straight in my mind.

In addition to he getting used to the invasive ventilation, we are working on nutrition (he was always hungry on the 2 cal, so we switched tog glucerna with twice as many feeds. I finally found a nutritionist who didn't cringe when I mentioned blending, so I'll be honest about supplementing with real food done in the Vitamix). This morning she brought up a Diabetic formula. They can't get it in the hospital, but she's ordering it for home. Now that that's settled, endocrine is going to give me the new plan for managing his blood sugars. I don't have the strength right now to fight over the healthier real food formulas, and I don't know how much energy I'll really have for blending for him.

Speech is coming in to evaluate him for a Passey Muir valve. If he can come off the vent and still breath on his own (they will try that later) we may be able to ease into the eye gaze a little more slowly.

We are in the Medical ICU at the Durham VA Hospital, and I'm very impressed. He is so well monitored and alarmed that when something changes overnight, they are generally in the room before either of us is fully awake and reacting to it. The staff is warm, caring, attentive, and very professional. Our favorite equipment fairy from Prostetics (I'm sure any PALS or CALS who gets care here knows Deanna) as already made some more changes/fixes/improvements to his chair and has reordered the trilogy/o2 mount that somehow went astray. She is AWESOME.

We were not prepared for the difficulty of this MAJOR change. I am convinced that it is manageable with help and will enable us to make more great memories (closer to home :), but it's physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting. The shear volume of supplies is shocking. Boy am I glad I started clearing more things out of our bedroom to make room for this stuff.

I'd already decided to move my cloths into a spare bedroom and send my dresser to the garage to make more room. It was a good decision!! My twin bed stays there, but it's on wheels and can be moved out of the way during the day or when I'm sleeping down the hall.

Me....I lost my cookies last night and had a serious meltdown. I imagine the staff somewhere listening over a speaker and being on standby to rush in if I escalated any further! After being fire hosed all day, I just couldn't cope with having to crawl out of my comfy chair every 4 minutes to do or undo something that we'd already done or decided not to do just moments before. Yep, I'm a full-fledged Queen of Ugly and it doesn't even have to be 3am!! Fortunately, once I calmed down we were fine and he actually had a better night. As I raise my head and look out the window, I'm staring straight at the Cambria. It's calling to go over for at least one night, and given the quality of care here I'm going to try to convince Matt that it'll be ok if I go. This is also a test. I learned from the social worker that in the event that I have an emergency and he has to be put into care without advance planning, he would stay right here on the ward where we are now. See how easy it's getting for me to rationalize a night away :). I'm getting there, folks!!!

OK, this book is long enough. Thanks to everyone who's gone this way before and shared their stories so that I've been as prepared as I have been, and to everyone for the good wishes and support.

And no, we will not be going back to Colorado. Not gonna happen...

Becky
Queen of Coping

The vent is scary at first but its really not that hard to do the trach care etc. In someways I like better than the nose pillows he used, at least now I ca see his face. We use liquid O2 when we go out, easier and more manageable than O2 tanks. My husband uses LTV vents at home but we switch to the Triology for outings, batteries last much longer.

We have found vent patients are in ICU because they are set up to care for them.

Wish you luck and hugs. Go get some rest, sounds like he's being well cared for. Take a break.

Becky you will do awesome with the vent. I’m always here for you. In time you’ll be able to change that inner cannula and suction in the dark. It doesn’t seem like it at the moment, but it will happen. Then you will wonder what you were so afraid of.

If Matt can still talk, ask about his cuff being let down. He can talk around it in the Trilogy. Not on the hospital vents. No need for a passer Muir valve. The trilogy is meant to work with the extra leak of air and automatically adjusts. Brian spoke that way for years on the vent.

His first trach wasn’t changed for 2 years and we were home in 4 days. Every place does it different though.

Hugs,

Sue

I think you need a night off before he comes home Becky.

The stress of what has been going on is huge and you are dragging yourself through day and night one after the other and there is a limit which is not a failing ... just sayin

You go girl! You are continuing to do an AWESOME job!

Since the care seems to be so good, get thee to the Cambria! The Queen deserves it! And, truthfully, who knows when you will get a chance again. Just do it!!!!

I just looked at the Cambria. Yes! Go stay there

The staff have Matt covered. You will be an even better care partner with some decent sleep and food. Honestly you should check in for the duration and come and go during the day.

The vent is not hard once you are used to it but you will learn better when you are properly rested.

It looks like the Cabria has a gym. Sadly they seem to be missing room service but the restaurant looks good.

Matt will be home soon. Don’t miss this opportunity

And give Matt a hug from me and take one for yourself

My husband Job also spoke on the vent for a number of years. First he was able to speak around the cuff with just a few cc of air taken out, then we had a second setting on the the vent with a much higher volume to offset the air loss with the cuff all the way down, and when this became too difficult we added a Passey Muir valve in line with the vent circuit which gave him another 6 months of speech. Speech was the hardest thing for my husband to lose and I'm so glad he could keep as long as we did.
Remembering how overwhelming all the equipment and procedures were at the beginning. You'll be surprised how quickly you can master it all. Thinking of you both, Kate

Becky, you're great! Even mastering to put a whole sentence together after what you two have been through in so short a time would be considered "coping well". But a whole book? Kudos!
Hope you get a little pause from the hospital hubbub and take a breather and some zzzzzs at the hotel.

Very glad to hear that the staff is good there.

Ditto to what Nikki said.

Becky, take care of yourself. They have Matt covered. You're the best!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back