Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
PA
City
Brockway
My dad had problems with the ventilator again. His internal balloon had a slow leak again and the vent tube needed replaced. They got it right this time due to his private duty nurse. It only took them 1 hour in and out of the ER to correct the problem. Concern is that no one is telling them why it is happening. My dad feels its because he inflates and deflates too often. Anyone have any ideas? Kim

Sorry to hear you are having some problems. Can I ask how long they last before springing a leak? From what I understand they should be replaced every month and that's what we are doing, my wife changes mine and it only takes about five seconds to take the old one out and put the new one in. You mentioned inflating and deflating the cuff, why are you doing this so often, and if he can handle it deflated why don't you leave it that way? Can he eat and swallow without choking? I have a number six Shiley cuffless and but don't have any issues with swallowing. It's great because I can talk just like before getting a tracheostomy.

Hi Kim,

I notice with my trach, after about 30 days we have to start adding air a couple times a day. I usually get the tube changed out monthly, so this is not normally an issue. We also deflate the cuff daily to allow the positive pressure from the vent to push the secretions that have accumulated above the cuff up so we can get them with a mouth suction.

You might try a web search on your particular trach tube to see how long it is intended to last.

Mike

Hi All
Freddie has a Shiley 8 trach, he asks me about 2 or 3 times a day to deflate so he can talk. I do not like this idea but I have noticed with him being a singer he can manipulate around the cuff with air in it. The told me the trach would be replaced every 3 months. I am hearing yall say every month, does 3 months sound right? I let Freddie talk sometimes but I do wonder how safe this is....Any answers on this?
Thanks Again,
netty

Hi Annette,

The main reason we started changing the tube once a month was due to increased secretions and minor lung infections after about 30 days. I would think if his secretions don't change, and the cuff doesn't start leaking, 3 months should be fine.

I do not think it is a problem to deflate the cuff several times a day for speech. I know many people who do this. There are a couple things I would watch out for. If he feels out of breath or light headed, re-inflate the cuff. Personally, secretions build up above my cuff. When we deflate the cuff, some secretions ooze down into my lungs. It may be a good idea to suction after re-inflating. :-D

Mike

leaky cuff

Hi guys
Thanks for all the responses. After reading the responses, I'm realizing that his cuff is lasting about as long as it's supposed to. My dad can go about a month or 2 before the balloon starts to leak. He inflates and deflates alot to talk, but like Joel, he can talk without doing that. Its just harder to understand him sometimes. He's currently on a number 8 but they want to get him down to a 6 eventually. Thanks again. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back