Reason
CALS
Country
SGP
State
SG
City
SG
My mum's been recently diagnosed with ALS. She's still in the hospital and had tracheotomy done.

She's currently attached to Vivo 30 (http://www.breas.com/breas_templates/Page____772.aspx).

My question is what type of machine is that? A ventilator or bipap? Or are they the same?

The nurses told me it is a portable bipap machine. I always thought bipap machines are meant to be used with a mask, but please correct me if I am wrong. There are so much information being thrown at me I am pretty overwhelmed and confused.

Thanks.

I am not sure but my pulmonary doc was telling me about a new kind of machine-he called it a "V-PAP" This sounds like what he was talking about. He said it is a cross between a bi-pap and a c-pap. Let us know more when she gets used to it.

From what I read on the link you posted it is a Bipap. They could be using it with the trach and plan on weaning her to a mask. Vpap is just another manufacturer's name for a Bipap. A Bipap is a non invasive positive air pressure ventilation machine. I'm only aware of about 3 companies that make them. There could be more around especially in foreign countries.

AL.

Thank you so much for the answers. :)

A vendor for ventilators also just confirmed she is on a bipap.

The latest news is that the neurologist is waiting for 3 weeks to see if they can wean her off the machine. *crosses fingers* I really hope so as the rental for one is crazily expensive in Singapore.

And pardon my ignorance, what is c-pap?

Constant positive air presssure. Mainly used in obstructive sleep apnea where the soft palate and other parts of the throat collapse when you sleep. The constant air pressure keeps the airway open. The pressure used is lower than a Bipap.

AL.

Many thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back