Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
Does anyone have any experience with a ventilator (one of those small - lap top size) and using a walker (on wheels) to transport the vent (and patient).

This ALS patient is still moble, but needs a ventilator soon (they are looking at a LTV 950). The patient is hoping to use a walker on wheels to be able to get around and carry the vent in a basket - like attachment. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions or links? Thanks.

Hi Pearl. That's a good question. Most of the people here when they get to the point of needing a vent are not mobile but use a chair with a vent tray. Someone with this experience may jump in yet.
AL.

Hi Pearl,

I recall reading a post a couple of years ago on one of the boards describing a man who used to mow his lawn (not with a riding mower) while on a ventilator. That image has stuck with me. Sorry I don't remember where I saw it.

I saw a woman one time carrying her vent in a satchel over her shoulder , completely ambulatory. She was out in public just going about her business. Seems like where there's a will, there's a way. How heavy is a vent?

When my mother in law first got her feeding tube she was always stuck to a pole and had to stay in one place while eating...when she regained her strength she had 'things to do' and didn't enjoy being tied down so we got her a portable pump and she would put it in the basket in front of her walker and it worked perfect. We loaded that walker up with all the things she needed handy (kleenex box strapped to the side, paper and pen for conversations etc..) I'm not sure how much heavier a vent would be put even with her getting weaker she was still able to push the walker with all her 'gear'

Jodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back