Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
XX
City
where it's green
Hi, so my brother is back in the nursing home from the hospital. I thought it was going
fairly well except now he feels "congested". The RT who has 24 years experience said
that it's normal to feel like you can't get a deep breath, that it's the muscles that are
weak and cause that sensation. She also said he is clear in the lungs and his stats are
good.

He says he feels congested. They have suctioned him, and nothing much is coming up.
She listened to his lungs and they seem fine. I think he is panicking. Not sure. On my
way over there.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Would it be wise to try to get a cough assist if his
lungs sound clear? If he feels congested, maybe it is a cold? Some people have been
around him lately with a cold, I feel certain.

The pulmo comes in today to see him.

There is no way he should feel congested. He should feel clear. He could have a touch of pneumonia or a start of a cold. Maybe the pulmonary doctor can shed some light on it today.

Thank you Joel.
I was over there an it seems the same as in the hospital when they changed out the trach and put in a fenistrated trach - then he had
24 hours of misery until someone said it wasn't in all the way (by 1/4 of an inch) and fixed it.

Same symptoms this time. The RT had changed the canula yesterday.

My brother mentioned when he was in the hospital the nurse had done some kind of maneuver on his chest (I'm thinking a manual
compression of some type) and it helped a lot. I'm thinking he needs a cough assist and will discuss with pulmo. And maybe a different
trach althogether.

Okay, so the pulmonologist came in and checked out my brother - he detected a small "leak" in the trache, but "cant'" change out the trache
for a couple of weeks yet because it's so new. Also the RT supervisor came in. They said all his stats are good and he doesn't have a lot
of secretions. He said if he had more fluid buildup it would show on the ventilator. I asked both about the cough assist or some manual
method. Neither seemed to think it was indicated unless he had more fluid build up. I just hope he doesn't have to spend the next 2 weeks
in misery.

They can change the tube right now. I had mine changed within a couple of days. I am really losing confidence with these doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back